Are Marines still assigned to sea duty? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It happens. It's also compounded some by adding 7 days (or more in some cases) of Recruiters Assistance (RA) if approved on top of the 10 days bootcamp leave. 17 days home, eating momma's home cooking every day, can dampen one's enthusiasm for the next phase of training for sure. Those uniforms that were tailored in bootcamp all of a sudden don't fit so well.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Crazy.....should have it like it used to be. Things that work fine are being fixed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Where is the DI standing over you screaming.....Hurry UP...to put it nicely ?

At least. Don't see any fat bodies anywhere. They obviously are not overeating.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    True enough, Top...and I do remember the DIs screaming (when did they ever stop except when asleep?----but looks like the recruits have a lot more on their plates, literally, than we did.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't remember my DIs doing a lot of screaming at chow except early in 1st Phase (this in 1971). They would if privates were caught talking instead of eating, but generally they left us alone. We knew there was a massive hurry-up factor involved without having to be continually reminded. God help us all if a private came out of the chow hall after the DI did. We all had to be standing tall when he/they came out.

My single most powerful memory of boot camp is how ****ing hungry I was all the time. I got there at 155lbs and graduated at 147lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradomick View Post
    My single most powerful memory of boot camp is how ****ing hungry I was all the time. I got there at 155lbs and graduated at 147lbs.

I can relate to that, went in around 190 graduated around 145....

So I was set back, needed some time in PCP....this is NOT a good experience, much more intense personal DI involvement.

One thing I will never forget, paying $5.00 for a damn candy bar.....bought it from another boot.....still ashamed.

I never ate in the squad bay, or got stuck in PCP, but I can remember eating other recruits apple cores and chicken bones in the chow hall from time to time because I just never got enough to eat! I was a farm kid and was in great shape when I got there, but my metabolism was so high I just couldn't get enough calories. That was the thing I hated most about Boot Camp for sure. Other than that, I'd go back and do it again.

Thread Information