Combat Camera (4600 MOS)
Create Post

Combat Camera (4600 MOS)

Has anyone had experience doing or knowing anyone in the 4600 MOS fields? If so what's daily life like, training, deployment(s), etc?

Similar Threads:

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    One person that I know of. fl1946. Let me PM him right now and ask him to take a look at your thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Done! Be patient.

Hi Colton -- understand you are interested in the Combat Cameraman MOS. I was in the 4600 field from 1964 to 1968, starting out as a still photographer (4631), then mopic (4681) and ending as a 4691, film editor at Quantico, VA.

Don't let anyone tell you combat camera is a non-combat MOS. You will be in the thick of action filming and/or shooting pics. What makes our job exciting, you "shoot" with camera (note: cameras aren't weapons). Now the test, can you stand still in the middle of battle for at least 8 seconds (because you need a steady shot of the action).

All kidding aside, combat photo in Vietnam sustained more casualties than in WWII. Corporal Wm. Perkins first photog in U.S. military to receive MOH (posthumously. He and I served together in '67. Look us up the USMC Combat Correspondents Association. You will find our Marine Corps photo history described. Good luck. I'll try and answer any questions which you may have than blabber endlessly.

Semper fi,

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, Frank. You're probably the only one on here with experience of that kind.

Have a real nice weekend. Going to play 18 holes tomorrow. Stay cool.

The first question I really have is what was day to day life like, before and after deployment?

It depends. In garrison (non-combat) situation, either video or still, you can be assigned to cover "meet and greets," at VIP functions; military promotions or work on photo assignments accompanying grunts and field exercises. And if lucky you get to fly and shoot, or ride the hills of Camp Pendleton in armor vehicles.

Like any job, days can be ordinary. But then when you are deployed FMF, etc. and accompany the grunts in combat, it's the most honored place to be. Everything you learned in advanced infantry training -- and then some, you better remember because not only is your life at stake but of others. And you will still have to perform your job: take pictures. Remember, you are a Marine first -- and all the BS that comes with it. But you get a lot of respect when you say "I'm combat camera." Grunts respect Brass Balls" observing rounds dancing around photogs as they stand and shoot cameras.

S/F

Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    Remember, you are a Marine first -- and all the BS that comes with it. But you get a lot of respect when you say "I'm combat camera." Grunts respect Brass Balls" observing rounds dancing around photogs as they stand and shoot cameras.

S/F
    AMEN....

Thread Information