"Childhood Asthma " ?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

"Childhood Asthma " ?

Hello Marines,
    Up until recently I had completely forgot that I had "Childhood asthma" from around 9 and used an inhaler until I was 11. I put Quotations around the words childhood asthma because I don't believe I was ever diagnosed by a doctor with asthma. I have no issues with any physical training, and was actually suprised when I went to my school nurse and read on my school medical records that I had been prescribed an inhaler in the past.. To back up a little bit, I was excessively overweight when younger and had trouble breathing while running(not surprising).. I've talked to my mother and she affirmed that I was prescribed an inhaler because of the conditions she talked to my doctor about. She says I never went through any tests to diagnose me with asthma. I'm sorry for the long back story, but my question is; will I able to enlist in the Marine Corps with these prior conditions, and would a waiver be required if I could? Id hate that the use of inhaler for a breathing problem due to childhood obesity will destroy my future.

Thank you all for reading and for your time,
    Evan

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In order for you to get a prescription for an inhaler your Dr. had to diagnose you with asthma, plain and simple. It's in your medical records even in your school. A record of it is a record.

Disclose everything to you recruiter when that times comes. He/she will let you know if you need a waiver. We cannot tell you. We are not Drs.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

Asthma is not only induced by physical activity. It can also be induced by allergies (pets, pollens in the air, etc).

Some recruits get to bootcamp with no asthma symptoms (some with no history of asthma at all). But, the combination of strenuous physical activity, allergies, and other factors, results in them developing symptoms or even a full-blown asthma attack which can be life-threatening. For these reasons, a history of asthma is normally an automatic disqualification from military service.

What happens will be up to the docs at MEPS. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Rocky C, and Tennessee Top for replying. Im going to my doctors tomorrow and am going to get my medical history records, I've also talked to a recruiter and he said that the cut off for asthma is 13, and if my records show no symptoms of asthma past that age I should be able to get a waiver.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Your health is the most important thing in the world. Just make sure you are good to go.

Thread Information