Air Force vs. Marine Aviation
Create Post

Air Force vs. Marine Aviation

Greetings all,

This is my first post to the forum, so I believe a quick introduction is in order: I'm a junior in high school and I've always wanted to be a pilot (I'm most interested in the ground-attack/CAS mission), but my primary reason for joining the military is to serve and lead. For a long time I was convinced that I wanted to join the Air Force, but after talking to active duty service members and veterans from all branches I've begun to rethink my decision.

I realised that my primary job will be a (insert branch) Officer leading soldiers/airmen/marines/sailors to accomplish the mission first and foremost, and being a pilot comes second. That said, if I commissioned as an Air Force Officer and something went awry and I didn't become a pilot, I don't think I would be satisfied with another AFSC that the AF has to offer. However, I've been looking into Marine Corps Aviation for the past few weeks; I understand that I have a much lower chance of becoming a pilot in the Marine Corps, but I believe that I would be much happier being a Marine Officer leading Marines, doing a job other than flying jets, than I would vice versa in the Air Force. I'm much more drawn to the Marine Corps' mission than the Air Force's. Also, my family's heritage is also deeply rooted in the Navy/Marine Corps and it would be an honour to continue this legacy in my generation.

Knowing all this, would it be wise of me to choose the Marines (perhaps that's a rhetorical question on this forum)? Even if I have a lesser chance of being a pilot?

Also, if for whatever reason I did not receive an Aviation slot after commission (whether it's ASTB scores, needs of the Corps, etc.), how likely would it be that I could become an SOO?

Thanks,

Dan

Similar Threads:

1) Marines is capitalized.

2) The Marine Corps is the ONLY branch that guarantees you an aviation contract if you meet all the requirements. This means that if the OSO has air contracts available, and you pass the ASTB, pass the flight physical, get selected for OCS and complete OCS, you are GUARANTEED a shot at flight school down in Pensacola after TBS. Also, getting selected as a pilot in the Air Force without being an Academy or ROTC guy is EXTREMELY difficult. So it's actually easier to get a shot at flight school in the Marines vs the Air Force. The major difference is that the training for Marine aviators has a focus on Naval aviation when compared to Air Force guys. Training pipeline for Marine Corps fixed wing pilots is a bit longer than the Air Force because of OCS/TBS/ and the various follow on schools you must attend.

3) What is an SOO?

Never mind with my final point; I'm assuming you mean a Special Operations Officer. That's a subjective question. I'm not familiar with the MARSOC process and whether SOO's are selected or if they volunteer. All I know is that they made Special Operations Officer a primary MOS rather than a secondary one like it used to be. However, if you washed out of flight school, what makes you think you'll complete MARSOC training?

I apologise for the erroneous grammar and terminology.

Regarding your second point, can I still be guaranteed an Aviation contract out of NROTC MO instead of OCS?

Lastly, I did mean a Special Operations Officer (I thought SOO was the appropriate acronym). Also, when I say not receiving an Aviation slot after commission, I mean not making it to flight school in the first place, not washing out. Forgive me if I sound pretentious and arrogant, but I think I'd fare relatively well in MARSOC training. I'd like to know if I could still go to MARSOC training if I didn't make it into flight school.

I don't know about the NROTC option or how it works. I always say the PLC program is the best route at gaining a commission as a Marine officer. Regarding your MARSOC question, any info I give you on the MARSOC process for officers would be pure speculation. This is something you would need to ask an Officer Selection Officer. Also, we have a couple of Marine officers here who are also aviators. Look for Djj34.

Thread Information