Nystagmus - Medical Waiver Possible?
Create Post

Nystagmus - Medical Waiver Possible?

Hello Marines,

I am currently trying to enlist in the United States Marine Corps, but have a few questions.

To give a little background, I received an Entry Level Discharge from the United States Army in 2009 (Uncharacterized Discharge RE-3). This was due to the Army and myself finding out that I had a condition called Nystagmus, which is a minor involuntary movement in my eyes.

I underwent LASIK surgery in May 2015, which did not remove the Nystagmus, but it did improve my vision from 20/200 to 20/30.

I am getting a lot of mixed signals from recruiters if I can enlist, from having to wait an entire year after my LASIK and not being able to process me because of my RE-3 discharge code.

Based on my research of the EPM and medical standards under MANMED P-117, the RE-3 code won't bar me from requesting a medical waiver for my Nystagmus from the CG of MCRC and I only have to wait 6 months after my LASIK to be eligible.

I guess my question is has anyone been able to enlist in the United States Marine Corps with a RE-3 discharge code from the Army, or has anybody successfully obtained a medical waiver for Nystagmus?

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

It sounds like you're talking to recruiters but maybe not in person, with the "mixed signals" - we are not recruiters here, but that's who you need to talk to. Find a recruiter, make an appointment and go meet with him. Explain your situation, then see what he says.

You'll certainly need some kind of waiver, but no one here can tell you if that's realistic or even possible. Check with the source (recruiter), and good luck with it - come back and let us know how things turn out, too.

Welcome to Leatherneck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    7 years later after your discharge from the Army you are looking to enlist in the Marine Corps ?

You said you received a code of RE-3. You left out the last letter of the code ????

These are the Army rules.

Question: Can the Army Discharge Review Board change my Reentry Eligibility (RE) code?
    Answer: The RE code (Reentry Eligibility code) is determined by the reason for separation, not the character of separation.

According to Army Regulation 601-210 (Regular Army and Army Reserve Enlistment Program), the Reentry Eligibility (RE) code can only be changed if an incorrect code was entered. For this type of correction, please send a letter and a copy of your DD Form 214 to the following address requesting the correction:

Commander
    US Army Human Resources Command
    Attention: Retention Branch (AHRC-EPF)
    1600 Spearhead Division Drive, Dept 365
    Fort Knox, KY 40121

The RE code is not upgraded to allow enlistment. Soldiers separated with an RE-3 or RE-4 code must seek a waiver from a recruiter to enlist. Depending on the type of discharge and disqualification, a waiver may not be possible.

If however, a former Soldier can provide evidence that the RE code is an error or unjust, the former Soldier may apply to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records for a correction of the RE code. If the former Soldier can provide evidence that their discharge character or reason for discharge issued in the last 15 years are erroneous or unjust, the former Soldier can apply to the Army Discharge Review Board for a discharge review and request that their RE code be changed according to the correct reason for discharge.

The former Soldier may complete an online application at http://actsonline.army.mil and send the signature page and evidence as instructed by the online program – or - may print a blank DD Form from the Army Review Boards Agency website at http://arba.army.pentagon.mil/ fill in the requested information, and mail it to the address shown on the reverse of the form. Please provide copies of all relevant military records in your possession and any evidence to support your request.

US Navy / Marine Corps Rules.

U.S. NAVY AND U.S. MARINE CORP RE CODES USN/USMC, RE-1 Recommended for reenlistment Contact a Recruiter!

USN/USMC, RE-1A Eligible for reenlistment.

USN/USMC, RE-2 Ineligible for reenlistment. Recommended for reenlistment but ineligible because of status: Fleet Reservist Retired (except for transfer to TDRL), Commissioned Officer. Warrant 0fficer, Midshipman, Cadet.

USN/USMC, RE-3A Failure to meet area aptitude prerequisites. Fully qualified for enlistment, provided mental criteria of table 2-1 are met. Alien. Learn More About Joining, Contact A Recruiter Today!

USN/USMC, RE-3B Restricted assignment. Parenthood. Pregnancy.

USN/USMC, RE-3C Reenlistment authorized by CMC only. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Conscientious Objector.

USN/USMC, RE-3D Failure to meet disciplinary standards. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Demonstrated dependency or hardship not meeting criteria specified in Bupersman article C-10308.

USN/USMC, RE-3E Failure to meet education prerequisites. Fully qualified for enlistment provided education criteria is met. Erroneous induction.

USN/USMC, RE-3F Erroneous enlistment.

USN/USMC, RE-3G Condition (not physical disability) interfering with performance of duty.

USN/USMC, RE-3H Hardship USN/USMC,

RE-3K Disenrolled From Naval Academy, not considered qualified for enlisted status.

USN/USMC, RE-3M Marriage.

USN/USMC, RE-3N Importance to national health, safety or interest.

USN/USMC, RE-3P Physical disability (includes discharge and transfer to TDRL). Obesity. Motion sickness. Disqualified for officer candidate training.

USN/USMC, RE-3R Rank reappointment restriction. Ineligible for reenlist unless waivered USN/USCG,

RE-3R Professional growth criteria. Ineligible for reenlist unless waivered USN/USMC,

RE-3S Sole surviving son.

USN/USMC, RE-3T Overweight USN/USMC,

RE-3U Minority USN/USMC,

RE-4 Not recommended for reenlistment.

Please see a recruiter ASAP. Age is a factor also.

Best of luck and health.

Never heard of that condition and never heard of anybody being allowed to enlist with it. Involuntary eye movement and shooting a weapon is an oxymoron - one must have control of their eyes in order to attain proper sight alignment/sight picture and hit the target they're aiming at. You say the LASIK surgery did not correct the problem only your vision.

Your chances of enlisting into the USMC are slim-to-none. But, that will be up to your recruiter. Good luck.

Diplopia or nystagmus (except physiologic “end-point nystagmus”) is a DQ for all services and no waivers.

Thread Information