Ocs gpa
Create Post

Thread: Ocs gpa

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Ocs gpa

I am 24 and I have my BA from Virginia Tech, although my overall GPA is quite low (2.68), this was from one bad semester my first year. I had an upward trend and finished averaging between 3.1-3.8 in the rest however it wasnt good enough to bring up my overall GPA. I spoke to an OSO and from what I gathered my chances are nil, not only did he say that nothing is available till next spring but that my GPA is too bad. I have applied to both a masters program and a graduate certificate program at UVA and VT and my question is will obtaining good grades in either of these programs give me a better shot at OCS?(by the way I am in excellent physical shape, meet all the criteria, no criminal record etc) Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
    -Chris

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If the OSO said your chances are nil then your chances are nil.

Best of luck to you.

why aren't you directing these questions to your OSO? There aren't any on this board.

If you show a genuine interest in the program and gradually take on roles that help your Office accomplish their mission, your OSO will be more inclined to use their resources to clean up your package and get you a better look from the board. You'll likely be passed on the first few times; however, with some commitment on your part and their help, it's possible.

Yes, enrolling in a Masters program and earning a GPA over 3.0 (preferably over 3.5) will make you look better in that regards for OCS selection. WHat you basically need to do is maintain contact with the OSO, and SHOW him (not just talk) that you're making efforts to improve. He'll most likely note your commitment and be more inclined to work with you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Yes, enrolling in a Masters program and earning a GPA over 3.0 (preferably over 3.5) will make you look better in that regards for OCS selection. WHat you basically need to do is maintain contact with the OSO, and SHOW him (not just talk) that you're making efforts to improve. He'll most likely note your commitment and be more inclined to work with you.
    It should be noted that in every grad school that I am aware of, 3.0 is the lowest GPA you can maintain and still pass. 3.0 is barely scraping by. Things are different than in undergrad.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please keep in my that the OP is almost 26 years old already and time is not on his side.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    It should be noted that in every grad school that I am aware of, 3.0 is the lowest GPA you can maintain and still pass. 3.0 is barely scraping by. Things are different than in undergrad.
    Yes, this is true. I was talking about leaving with his undergrad degree and at least a 3.0 GPA before enrolling in grad school.

At Rocky, being 26 definitely complicates things a lot more.

Yep, time is running out ...

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry I have been without a computer for a couple days. I appreciate the responses. I am in fact 24 at the time not 26. So I do still have some time but it is for sure running out.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry I have been without a computer for a couple days. I appreciate the responses. I am in fact 24 at the time not 26. So I do still have some time but it is for sure running out.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Then you should fix your date of birth in your registration please, and yes, time is running out.

You can always enlist as an enlisted Marine, then at some point apply for the Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP).

Stop crying and feeling sorry for yourself better start working and stop being a wuss no one is going to hand $hit to you. Some may tell you, you can be whatever you want to be that is a lie if it was all up to what you wanted and what you worked for no one would do a god damned thing,

Somebody pi$$ed in Munky's wheaties today! lol

Thread Information