Silent Drill Platoon
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silent Drill Platoon

Was anyone in here on the Silent Drill Platoon? If so when?

Registered User Free Member toakes's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

I wasn't on the drill team, but I was a member of Guard Co. 8th & I Wash. D.C. from Oct.1966-Oct.1968.Don't remember what platoon,but S/Sgt Reed was plt Sgt.

where in Mississippi do you live?

My best buddy in the Corps, PFC Ray Parks, was on the Silent Drill Team in '56-57. We served together in W29 in Japan and Okinawa. We were on 81 mortar FO teams, quite a departure from the spiff and shine of Marine Barracks, D.C.
    Parks taught me the 8th & I way to spit shine double-soled dress shoes, getting razor sharp creases in uniforms and when we were on liberty I sometimes got some of his excess female fans.
    When we got back to the states he got an early discharge at TI and I haven't seen or heard of him since.

Attached photo was taken on Okinawa at Camp Bishigawa, about two miles from Kadena Circle. 2/9 was put there when the tent camp we were supposed to be in was blown away by a typhoon.
    This was Christmas Day and we were heading for a big chow down. Had to wear our greens, but still used field mess gear (every day).
    Reading about the woes of some Air Force types and others about conditions overseas, I have to chuckle when I look at this and think back to the good old days.
    That Nissan hut behind us was home to 90 Marines. That's right, 90.
    We made do and kicked a**.

Attached Images Attached Images

Oops! Mitchell is on left, Parks on right in above photo.
    Note the bronze tie clasps and the trop shirts. Old Corps, baby!!!

Registered User Free Member SGTDBG0411's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

Where can I get some video of the drill team?

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile SGTDGB0411

I have two [2] video [VHS] tapes of the silent drill team...both are different.....Mail Order Video...7888 Ostrow Street...Suite A...San Diego, Calif 92111....Telephone 1-800-942-8273...I purchased them about 6 yrs ago...both are excellent and in technicolor...Semper Fi

Pick up a copy of "Leatherneck" magazine at a newsstand. There are advertisements in the back for videos of all sorts. The Silent Drill Team is one I've seen offered. The Sunset Parade is another.
    Have you tried the "e-Marine PX" banner at the top of this page? They may have links to an outlet.

Semper Fi!

Registered User Free Member SGTDBG0411's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

Alright thanks for your help. I do not have access to the Leatherneck magazine here in San Antonio in news stands but will swing by the recruiters office after work tomorrow.
    OORRAAHH !!!!! IT'S A MARINE THING
    SEMPER FI

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    For the IG Inspection we formed a drill platoon. A Master Guns was our boss for the evolution. He told us about being on the Silent Drill Team. He related that after the Sunset Parades, the local girls were very excited to see them. The rest of what he said I cannot repeat online!

Talking

Drill Team videos should be available @ USMC.HQ.Gov. I,m going to log on myself and look.I want the Wife to see them..

It's at eMarinePX for $19.93

Here's the link:

http://www.emarinepx.com/rc-1305.htm

I can tell ya'll some stories about the road trips we went on but...."what goes on the road, stays on the road!"

Semper Fi,

SGTDBG0411:
    http://www.soldiercity.com/product_list.asp?dept=106&last=358

where can i view the silent drill team online

Thread Information