After 6 years I'm out of the Guard and looking towards Active Marine Corps
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

After 6 years I'm out of the Guard and looking towards Active Marine Corps

I was a Cavalry Scout in the Army National Guard as an E4 for the last 6 years. My contract ended last weekend. Ever since I joined I've had a longing to be a Marine. I never felt like I chose the right branch in the beginning.

I already know I will start completely over, ground zero and I'm am happy with that. I don't want to be given anything for free. My questions are simple for the most part.

1) When it comes to prior service is there anything that transfers over? Such as awards, time in service, or certifications (Raven Operator, and Squad Designated Marksmen)

2) I'm having a hard time picking MOS. My ASVAB is a 87, with a GT of 119. I know I can do just about any job, but coming from a Combat MOS a part of me longs for another combat MOS. Would it be respected to go Infantry and the lateral to Counter Intel? That's what I'm leaning towards.

3) Life for my wife. I'm fine with me going through the ****, being away from home, that's no problem. I just want to know if families are taken care of and treated properly? Some branches seem to have trouble with that.

BTW, if this is in the wrong part of the forums then I apologize, still getting the hang of the site.

I appreciate all tips and helpful info!

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 03-12-16 at 08:29 AM.

Are you dead set on enlisting? Have you looked into the officer program for the Marines?

Have you talked to a Marine recruiter yet?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Are you dead set on enlisting? Have you looked into the officer program for the Marines?

Yes, I'm dead set on enlisting, I love military service and getting a change of scenery every few years. I have looked into the officer program. However, I'm soon to be 25, and only have 40 hours of college credit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    Have you talked to a Marine recruiter yet?
    I have over phone, but we decided it'd be better in person. So that is scheduled for 3 weeks from now.

I'm just trying to get some knowledge from current and prior Marine service. I've learned from being in the Army that you learn more from the ones recruited than the recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm sure you're aware that you will basically start over at E-zero, having to go through boot camp and SOI (whether ITB or MCT). You will be a contract PFC (E2), however.

Your Drill Instructors will know you're former Army Guard and may pull your chain a little over that, but will also probably give you a leadership billet (guide or squad leader) early on to add to your load. The guide and SLs get fired and hired (and sometimes re-hired) on a regular basis, but it is possible to stick to one of those jobs all the way through (an ex-Army guy in my platoon was a SL from beginning to end).

As far as getting infantry, that may be tough as it is a highly sought after slot, but doable. Come re-enlistment time, if you are recommended and at least a corporal, then you can apply for a lat transfer to CI/HumInt.

Good luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes, this is the correct place for you to post since you are listed as a " Marine Friend ".

Great answers so far.

Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck and keep us posted please.

There is an old saying in the Corps "if the commandant wanted you to have a wife, he would've issued you one". Everyone's experiences with spousal support by the USMC is different. Some good, some bad with most in the middle. As long as she can handle not having you around she should be good-to-go. The USMC does take your responsibility for spousal support seriously. She needs to have a power of attorney so she can make decisions in your absence and access to your money (through allotments or whatever) so she can pay all the bills. The LAST thing a commanding officer wants/needs is a spouse claiming she cannot pay the bills.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I'm sure you're aware that you will basically start over at E-zero, having to go through boot camp and SOI (whether ITB or MCT). You will be a contract PFC (E2), however.

Your Drill Instructors will know you're former Army Guard and may pull your chain a little over that, but will also probably give you a leadership billet (guide or squad leader) early on to add to your load. The guide and SLs get fired and hired (and sometimes re-hired) on a regular basis, but it is possible to stick to one of those jobs all the way through (an ex-Army guy in my platoon was a SL from beginning to end).

As far as getting infantry, that may be tough as it is a highly sought after slot, but doable. Come re-enlistment time, if you are recommended and at least a corporal, then you can apply for a lat transfer to CI/HumInt.

Good luck.

Thank you for the information! I do understand that I will start completely over, and I'm completely ok with that.

I will be looking into all my possibilities soon. CI is my end goal, but I would like some combat time in a new branch first, and when I say combat time I don't mean your typical "I want to fight and kill" I simply mean inside a combat MOS.

Thank you

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Yes, this is the correct place for you to post since you are listed as a " Marine Friend ".

Great answers so far.

Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck and keep us posted please.
    Thank you very much, and I will definitely be updating as much as possible.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    There is an old saying in the Corps "if the commandant wanted you to have a wife, he would've issued you one". Everyone's experiences with spousal support by the USMC is different. Some good, some bad with most in the middle. As long as she can handle not having you around she should be good-to-go. The USMC does take your responsibility for spousal support seriously. She needs to have a power of attorney so she can make decisions in your absence and access to your money (through allotments or whatever) so she can pay all the bills. The LAST thing a commanding officer wants/needs is a spouse claiming she cannot pay the bills.

Good luck.

I've heard that saying. My wife is a very strong woman, no worries there. She already has power of attorney and we have joint accounts due to me being gone for stuff having to do with the Guard and being a Police Officer.

Thank you for the information!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Keep us updated here on this same thread re that recruiter meeting you have set up for a couple of weeks from now, please. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you and I look forward to keeping this posted all the way through becoming a poole and into a Marine.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Great. Good luck to you!

Oorah! Good luck!

Thread Information