I want to become a US Marine Corps Officer - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by youngvisionary View Post
    A lot of things can DQ you for enlistment I think, thanks for your concern though. My hyperness is more of a drive to get more done in a day. Like for example, I work part time after school and just that isnt enough for me. I also combine that for 3hrs a day with volunteering at the local police department and help them on the weekends. My problem with school isn't that I don't understand the subjects but I've never put in effort to do the homework or projects. What use is an 100% on a test if you haven't turned in anything.
    you might want to work on bringing up your GPA the rest of the time you have left, and ask if you can turn some homework late,, real late,, and get some credit for them,, as for college, the community colleges will probably require you to take prequalifying classes for what ever degree you are chasing,, if you want to be a Marine, you can go in enlisted and see if you can make warrant officer.. or maybe even get in the Officer program through the ranks.. it is a long shot that way but you won't miss out on being a Marine,, assuming you make it through Boot Camp..

And why am I so far from that dream( other than academically)? If I'm motivated I think I can go for whatever I put my mind to, to get the job done.
    Motivation is only one fraction of the total equation. What it boils down to in the end is performance. Officers are expected to perform. If they don't, they get passed over for promotion. When that happens, their career is over and are not retained.

One can have all the motivation in the world. But if you don't perform, that motivation is just extra energy. What you need is less motivation, and more performance (results). Then, you MAY become officer material.

Senior? 17 years old? 1.9 GPA? As much as I admire your desire to become a Marine Corps officer, like the others pointed out, best you back the tape up and seriously think about how to build your academics up -- notwithstanding your physical status which was not mentioned. Like Top said, motivation is one thing but performance sweeps all. Good luck.

Another way to explain it.

Let's say I can promote one Marine in my company this month. The two who are eligible are both highly motivated and dedicated. Difference is, one doesn't really accomplish that much. The other one consistently performs at a high level and always accomplishes every task assigned to him at or above my expectations. Which one am I going to promote? If you ever want to be officer material, you MUST be that one every time. Anything less will never cut it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    My problem with school isn't that I don't understand the subjects but I've never put in effort to do the homework or projects. What use is an 100% on a test if you haven't turned in anything.
    The Marine Corps doesn't need slackers.....

If you have so much energy to volunteer for extra curricular fun things you should start a new strategy and put in the time and effort into something that will be with you for the rest of your life....

Follow some of these guidelines......

INITIATIVE

Definition:
    Initiative is taking action even though you haven't been given orders. It means meeting new and unexpected situations with prompt action. It includes using resourcefulness to get something done without the normal material or methods being available to you.
    Suggestions for Improvement: To improve your initiative, work on staying mentally and physically alert. Be aware of things that need to be done and then to do them without having to be told.

DECISIVENESS

Definition:
    Decisiveness means that you are able to make good decisions without delay. Get all the facts and weight them against each other. By acting calmly and quickly, you should arrive at a sound decision. You announce your decisions in a clear, firm, professional manner.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Practice being positive in your actions instead of acting half-heartedly or changing your mind on an issue.

INTEGRITY

Definition:
    Integrity means that you are honest and truthful in what you say or do. You put honesty, sense of duty, and sound moral principles above all else.
    Suggestions for Improvement: Be absolutely honest and truthful at all times. Stand up for what you believe to be right.

ENTHUSIASM

Definition:
    Enthusiasm is defined as a sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of your duties. If you are enthusiastic, you are optimistic, cheerful, and willing to accept the challenges. Suggestions for Improvement: Understanding and belief in your mission will add to your enthusiasm for your job. Try to understand why even uninteresting jobs must be done.

I'm a 17 year old Senior from Detroit, Michigan and I have a burning desire to succeed. I speak nearly 3 languages and I took Marine Corps JROTC for 2 year, and I actively show initiative. My main problem is finding a decent college to give me a degree ( I've moved around a lot so my GPA suffered  1.9). I do a lot of community service as a police explorer to help people out, but I have my heart set on being a Marine Officer. Do I stand a fair chance if I get my degree and go to OCS? Because people around me tell me because I'm a Muslim I can't become a pilot in the Marines ( I call bs but have doubts).

1) They lied to you. Your religion, race, whatever wont get you any sort of special treatment. You'll compete for an OCS contract same as anyone else. In short, no one gives a sh*t if you're Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, whatever. If you deserve a shot, you'll get selected to OCS, if you don't, you wont.

2) Your GPA is atrocious, seriously, it's horrible. I've never seen anyone with a GPA below 2.0, you're the first. Congrats. You don't even have the aptitude and discipline to maintain a decent GPA, so I doubt that you'll succeed at OCS. Besides that, OCS MINIMUM requirement to apply is a 2.0. The people getting SELECTED to OCS have GPA's up around 3.5-3.7 with tons of extra curricular activity and demonstrated leadership. An Officer Selection Officer (Officer recruiter) probably won't even talk to you with that GPA. If you cant get that GPA to at least a 3.2, you're chances of getting selected are probably minuscule.

3) You speaking 3 languages; good, but it doesn't make up for the **** poor GPA, and I like I said, short of a 3.2, or even breaking the 3.0 mark, your chances are slim.

Also, lets look far into the future. If you can't even maintain a decent undergrad GPA, what makes you think you'll succeed at flight school? The academics are pretty rigorous. They don'y let just anyone fly multi-million dollar aircraft. You need to check your priorities.

Something tells me this kid is a troll anyways. What ROTC program is going to keep someone with a 1.9 GPA? that's not even a C average.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm just letting it run for a bit like the last one before it disappears into cyber space.

Notice that the OP never came back to post again like the one last week ?.

Shaking my head.....

Thread Information