Wisdom teeth before or during boot camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wisdom teeth before or during boot camp

First off thanks to all military personal for what you do. I'm planning on joining the Marines within this year. I'm 18 and still got my wisdom teeth in . So here's my question I know it seems silly. Should I get my wisdom teeth take out before or during boot camp. I know that during boot camp the 8th week is called Team Week that's when you can get the teeth extracted and I believe they give 24 hour bed rest don't know if that's true or not.

Similar Threads:

It's free if you wait until boot camp. Unless they're impacted, I don't think you have to have them pulled.

Ok thanks the internet made it sound like you've got to have them pulled

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Also see Similar Threads list at the end of your first post, for more info on this.

No. Not all recruits have their wisdom teeth extracted - but, it is a common practice. Naval dentists have different protocols than civilian dentists do. Your civilian dentist may see no reason to pull them out before shipping, but the Navy docs may decide they need to come out.

Wisdom teeth are extracted throughout the 13 weeks of training - not just Team Week. Other things are caught-up on during Team Week too like swim requals so they can't count on all the wisdom teeth to be pulled then. Recruits who do have their wisdom teeth taken out are given pain meds and 24 hours bed rest (and a break from their DI's).

If your parents don't mind paying the dental bill, and your dentist agrees to consult you to an oral surgeon, then consider it. But, you may end up keeping your wisdom teeth forever.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If they are not impacted and bothering you, leave them alone.

I got mine pulled in bootcamp, it wasn't during team week. We got bed rest the day we got the pulled after we got back, the next day was just another day. It sucked.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I also got mine pulled at boot, not impacted either..they just made the decision to take them out. And it was not done during team week, was done during 1st phase...I actually missed initial drill because of it unfortunately

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Wait to get in boot camp....dat' way you won't lose your wisdom and do something stupid prior to shipping...

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good advice from all, but why don't you just ask your recruiter this and other questions? More people come here to advice than they do to their own recruiters, who after all, either know the info or know where to look it up. There used to be two recruiters on this site who were really helpful, but they haven't been on in quite some time.

My parents told me I can't talk to a recruiter til I graduate in June. Then I can talker to a recruiter all I want. And thanks for the advice.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    TLgreen, saw this post and felt a need to share my story. When I was talking to my recruiter, I mentioned to him that I had a problem with my hemorrhoids. One of them was constantly itching and was larger than the rest. I assume it became larger from all the scratching. I was in limbo over whether to get it removed before boot camp or during boot camp. I even named my hemorrhoid "Little Bill". Anyway, he wasn't sure if a butt doctor would remove "Little Bill" in boot camp or not. I asked if the D.I.'s would be upset if scratched "Little Bill" when it started itching. I also asked if I could carry Preparation H with me while training. He told me that the D.I.'s wouldn't allow me to move while in formation.....but if I would wink at one of them, they would come over and scratch "Little Bill" for me. He lied big time. So I would get my teeth taken care of before you enlist. Good Luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    What a great story. Reminds me of the time that...never mind......

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Billy, your stories are great.

OP< I never heard of anyone being restricted from contacting a recruiter, but there must be a first time for everything, I suppose.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    OP< I never heard of anyone being restricted from contacting a recruiter, but there must be a first time for everything, I suppose.
    Not at 18...

Thread Information