Aviation MOS
Create Post

Thread: Aviation MOS

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Aviation MOS

22 years old and currently in a tech school to get my Airframe and Powerplant license. Wanted to become a Marine after high school but tried the college route instead and ended up in the tech school. Half the stuff we are "learning" is on military aircraft or we won't see in the civilian world. Haven't gone to see a recruiter since high school, but my question is on y'alls opinion if I should go ahead and enlist or wait and finish my A&P licensing ? Y'all know of benefits either way ? How many jobs are in the marines that are in the aviation maintenance or avionics ? I'm about halfway through. Any other info or advice is welcomed.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 02-07-16 at 01:31 PM. Reason: uppercase " M " in Marines !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Axle View Post
    I'm about halfway through. Any other info or advice is welcomed.
    IMO....
    You're 22 and half way though said 'tech' school.
    I'd say stay in school.
    Since you haven't even talked to a recruiter yet there's little reason to second guess if you can get an aviation related MOS.

That's my take on it....good luck.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yup, stay in school.

Finish school and get your license in your back pocket. Then, reassess your priorities and future prospects. If it does not look like that license will lead to a job in civilian aviation, then consider talking to a recruiter.

Your ability to get an aviation job in the USMC will depend on your ASVAB score and the needs of the USMC at that time (your civilian A&P license will have no bearing). It is possible you could end up doing something other than aviation.

I'm a 6336 avionics technician, do you have any particular question about the job?

Stay in school and finish your A&P. Talking to my mechs at the squadron, sounds like they don't learn enough/get qualified enough at MOS school to earn an A&P retroactively. Some grumbling about it being on purpose, I wouldn't be surprised. Focus on what you have now.

Credits
    Savings
    There's an two old army and navy guys in the same class that said they use to be able to get out and use their military experience to get the license. Back in high school when I talked to a Marine recruiter I took a practice asvab at the recruitment center(I know it was practice but he said I scored the highest and I wouldn't have to study to try to get any job at the time). I'm planning on waiting to finish school then really thinking about enlisting.

Credits
    Savings
    Mr. petews6, I took a glance at air forces website to check out there aviation mos' and it seems like they just work in an assembly line kind of job. My question is do you and the other Marines work on multiple parts/planes? I know avionics is electrical but I'm hoping if I enlist and get that mos I'm not just switching out the same databus over and over again if not different planes or helicopters than at least work on all of it whether on the avionics, airframe, power plant etc. side of it.

Thread Information