Enlisting with past medical conditions
Create Post

Enlisting with past medical conditions

Good afternoon, Marines. A little over a year ago I found that I had scheuermenns kyphosis. I saw a doctor about it and he gave me the option of wearing a brace to help correct it. I have worn the brace for about the last year and it has made a huge difference. I knew that I needed to wear the brace if I wanted to enlist as I would have been DQed from its previous condition. I am done wearing it in a few months, and the xrays look great. The doctor said I could continue to play sports and go to the gym, and gave no restrictions. Now there is no pain and my back looks way better, people even comment on my great posture. I understand it depends on the situation, but do I have a chance still if my back is corrected? Thank you

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Others will be here to help you. We once had two recruiters here and they were a tremendous help. Be patient. People will reply.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    See a recruiter with your medical records after the doctor sees you in a few months.....

However if you are qualified and not considered a liability because of physical training and heavy equipment you may want to peruse this list of DQ.....

But nothing is set in stone until you see a recruiter.

Bu you are DQ as of now since you are under doctors care.

Spine and Sacroiliac Joints

The causes for rejection for appointment, enlistment, and induction are:
    a. Arthritis.
    b. Complaint of a disease or injury of the spine or sacroiliac joints with or without objective signs that has prevented the individual from successfully following a physically active vocation in civilian life or that is associated with pain referred to the lower extremities, muscular spasm, postural deformities, or limitation of motion.
    c. Deviation or curvature of spine from normal alignment, structure, or function if -
    (1) It prevents the individual from following a physically active vocation in civilian life.
    (2) It interferes with wearing a uniform or military equipment.
    (3) It is symptomatic and associated with positive physical finding(s) and demonstrable by x-ray.
    (4) There is lumbar scoliosis greater than 20 degrees, thoracic scoliosis greater than 30 degrees, and kyphosis or lordosis greater than 55 degrees when measured by the Cobb method.
    d. Fusion, congenital, involving more than two vertebrae. Any surgical fusion is disqualifying.
    e. Healed fractures or dislocations of the vertebrae. A compression fracture, involving less than 25 percent of a single vertebra is not disqualifying if the injury occurred more than 1 year before examination and the applicant is asymptomatic. A history of fractures of the transverse or spinous processes is not disqualifying if the applicant is asymptomatic.
    f. Juvenile epiphysitis with any degree of residual change indicated by x-ray or kyphosis.
    g. Ruptured nucleus pulposus, herniation of intervertebral disk or history of operation for this condition.
    h. Spina bifida when symptomatic or if there is more than one vertebra involved, dimpling of the overlying skin, or a history of surgical repair.
    i. Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis.
    j. Weak or painful back requiring external support such as a corset or brace; recurrent sprains or strains requiring limitation of physical activity or frequent treatment.

http://www.military.com/join-armed-f...onditions.html

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Very helpful as always, Chuck

If you do make it past the initial hurdle, recommend you stay away from any MOS that requires heavy load bearing like infantry, machine-guns, mortars, artillery, etc. Lots of grunts end up with back and joint problems due to the combat loads they carry to perform their job. Cannon cockers load and carry rounds weighing up to 100 pounds. Stay with a job that will not affect your back any (admin clerk, legal clerk, intelligence analyst, etc).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of health and luck to you.

Listen to what these Marines said Ok ?

Come back to your thread and give us some updates.

Thank you for the PM and glad you got everything squared away.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I would say that just might be a no go son.

Good luck.

Thank you for the replies Marines. I read that any disease of the spine is disqualifying, is there any chance of a waiver depending on the condition?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't know. We are not Drs. here.

And you better square away your profile. Seems you just don't respond to requests do you ?

Now it is not a request.

You just came back to the forum after a time out from a Squad Leader.

This is getting old quick !!!

Get it done ASAP !

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Don't know. We are not Drs. here.

And you better square away your profile. Seems you just don't respond to requests do you ?

Now it is not a request.

You just came back to the forum after a time out from a Squad Leader.

This is getting old quick !!!

Get it done ASAP !
    Sorry sir, I just finished updating my profile.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you.

That wasn't hard was it ? Hate to call you out on your thread but it was the only way to get you to respond after numerous requests.

Enjoy the forum.

Thread Information