Question About Choice of Occupational Fields
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question About Choice of Occupational Fields

Hello All,

Recently talked to a recruiter. It was a positive experience and got me really excited about enlisting but I have a few questions but I guess I should limit it to one question per thread.

Mainly I am concerned about being able to get a job in infantry. Now the recruiter said, and I quote, "I can't get you an exact MOS, but I can get you in that world. If you want infantry we can get you into infantry" Great! I don't care which MOS within infantry as long as it is infantry.

However, some of my friends in the Corps told me that the recruiter is being misleading and that there is nothing anyone can do to influence which job I get.

Can someone weigh on this? Is it possible to at least pick your field, that's all I want to do. I never expected to be able to pick my MOS I just want to make sure I end up in infantry.

I was also told, by a Marine, that the ASVAB can determine your job. So should I try to ace the General Technical and purposefully do bad in Electronics and other sections?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You can pick your occupational field. The exact MOS is left to the needs of the Corps.

Don't screw around with the ASVAB. Do the best you can in all sections. It could influence a possible lateral move you might want to make at re-enlistment time (if you are selected for re-enlistment). Intentionally throwing parts of the test affect your overall ASVAB score.

Also be advised that the infantry field is highly sought after and spaces fill up quickly. If your recruiter has slots, don't do stupid things that may hurt your chances.

Nothing your recruiter told you is misleading. He said he can get you in infantry - nothing about a particular infantry MOS.

Usually, poolees pick 3 MOS fields (better chance of getting at least one of them). Never forget the basic and primary rule - MOS's are assigned based on the needs of the Marine Corps. Your needs do not count.

Like Zulu 36 said, never intentionally mess around with the ASVAB because there may be unintended consequences down the road which you'll only regret. As an example, once you become a Lance Corporal, you may decide you'd like to apply to be an embassy Marine with the State Department. Embassy Marines must possess a GT score of at least 90 just to be eligible for orders to the school. Your goal must be to attain the highest score in all categories so as to not limit future potential opportunities.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for the sound advice. I will prep for all sections of the ASVAB. Good to know that I can probably end up in Infantry or at least in my 2nd or 3rd choice fields.

If you do end up in infantry, good for you. If that happens, it's because that's where the Marine Corps needs you (not cause that's what you asked for). If you end up doing something else, that's because the Marine Corps needs you there instead. It's really very simple.

Don't be surprised when your recruiter comes back and tells you they can get you that infantry contract - but in the reserves. Recruiters are pushing the reserve side more than the active duty side because reservists are cheaper and because of the force reductions.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the heads up about the reserves.
    I guess I'm just going to have to accept the uncertainty. I totally understand that I will end up doing whatever the Corps need me to do. But I can't help but want the jobs that I think I would be the best fit for me.

Nothing wrong with hoping (and praying if you're the religious type). All you can do is keep your fingers crossed. Every graduating cycle at MCT, there are Marines disappointed with their MOS assignments - but, there are also happy Marines because they got exactly what they wanted.

Thread Information