Where do Marines sleep during Drill Weekends?
Create Post

Where do Marines sleep during Drill Weekends?

Hello Marines, thank you in advance for answering my question. I was wondering if Reserve Units have barracks that the Marines sleep in or is the sleeping arrangements on the Marine to arrange? I am currently a Poolee and the Unit I will be assigned to is in San Jose and since my ship date is right around the Corner I was curious about this. Thank you again.

Similar Threads:

No barracks. You will arrange your own billeting during drill weekend.

when I re-enlisted in the reserves in 1990 before the SHTF in the first gulf war, when we had drill weekend we stayed the night before in the gym and in other rooms at the reserve center.. now they report in the morning of, and head to their drill site that morning.. unless their going for their two week training then they have to be their the night before.. when off you stay at your home unless your on the I&I staff then I believe they get per-diem (Spelling??) or Housing, which pays for some of you billet..

Irpat, did you deploy to the Gulf as a reservist? I know a lot of reserve units deployed, including the reserve unit I was with (4th Amphib Asslt Bn Co b-) Jacksonville, Fl. But I had gotten out some 2 years prior from the IRR in 1988. Ironically, I was working for BFEC, or Bendix Field Engineering Corp, out of Blount Island in Jacksonville, with the Maritime Prepositioning Ships Program, and was shipboard when the Gulf War broke out, so I ended up going to Saudi Arabia in 1990/91. That reserve unit I was with had deployed, and they deployed for over a year, most in Kuwait. I understand that many later when returned back to the states, got out as soon as they could from reserves. Many "Lifer" reservist, just gave it up when they returned. Only like 2 guys stayed in. Really turned their lives upside down.

I and I staff in the reserve unit, whom were active duty were ticked off that reservist deployed to the Gulf, and one of the Inspector Instructors I talked to said he went to Michigan to do MODS, and was disgusted that as a lifer in the Corps, he didn't even make it to the Gulf whereas his reservist "Students" got deployed. Really ticked him off.

I was on the I-I Staff here in Knoxville (before the Gulf wars). The way it was set up, we would assist the Reserve Company with mobilization, but we all knew we would not be mobilizing with them. We still had other tasks to perform here, even if the reservists were not coming to drill weekends.

The Reserve Combat Engineer Company here did deploy (as platoons attached to infantry units) to Desert Shield/Storm as well as OIF and Afghanistan. Not heard of them deploying to OIR.

Don't remember any Reservists using the assembly hall/gym to sleep in. I do remember a hot lunch being catered in for them on Sat/Sun.

For in house drills (when we didn't go to the field) we slept at home, or if you were from further away than a certain distance, you rated a hotel room. During field drills we slept in the field, or on the floor of the drill deck in the reserve center.

I think that it largely depends on the unit and what facilities they have. Like irpat said above, I was with one reserve unit where the Marines racked out in the gym or classrooms - I was with another unit where the Marines slept in old WWII era wooden barracks that should have been condemned a decade or more earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    Irpat, did you deploy to the Gulf as a reservist? I know a lot of reserve units deployed, including the reserve unit I was with (4th Amphib Asslt Bn Co b-) Jacksonville, Fl. But I had gotten out some 2 years prior from the IRR in 1988. Ironically, I was working for BFEC, or Bendix Field Engineering Corp, out of Blount Island in Jacksonville, with the Maritime Prepositioning Ships Program, and was shipboard when the Gulf War broke out, so I ended up going to Saudi Arabia in 1990/91. That reserve unit I was with had deployed, and they deployed for over a year, most in Kuwait. I understand that many later when returned back to the states, got out as soon as they could from reserves. Many "Lifer" reservist, just gave it up when they returned. Only like 2 guys stayed in. Really turned their lives upside down.
    my company went to Oki to free up the fleet Marines their that went to combat,, that is where I got hurt and was released,, really ****ed me off tho..

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you are local to the unit you will go home each night, if you are considered an "out of towner"(more than 50 miles away) you will rate billeting(a hotel room).

Reserve unit in Tallahassee, Fl back in the day, say 83 time frame, looked like just a building and a gymnasium kind of setup, looked to me like a school look, with a few rooms, no billeting in there. I stayed with college friends in a dorm as I commuted to Jacksonville. Transferred after six months to Jacksonville. There, the reserve center was at NAS JAX, building kind of a similar set up but not really, but had the big gymnasium, rooms, no billeting. That unit in JAX, had an area near Blount Island that the AMPHIBS were, and we usually met there. A building with a Amtrac parking lot fenced in, could take the tracs to the St. Johns river and splash them, which was nearby. Heard of out of towners sleeping there in that building, some cot set up thing. In the field, we slept usually in our Amtracs. Sometimes, we went to CAMP BLANDING a bit further down state, and slept in some WWII looking style Quonset huts, with our sleeping bags and NO HEAT in the barracks. In winter.

Quote Originally Posted by irpat54 View Post
    my company went to Oki to free up the fleet Marines their that went to combat,, that is where I got hurt and was released,, really ****ed me off tho..
    Where in Okinawa? Camp Hansen? Foster? I pulled into Okinawa several times with the MPS program. Pulled into Red Beach one time, another time to White Beach. Always went with the WESPAC fleet, usually going to Korea. Hit BC street, at the New York Club. Drank ORION beer. NAHA is cool.

Thread Information