USMC Infantry vet joining French Foreign Legion
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USMC Infantry vet joining French Foreign Legion

I'm considering joining, I'm nearly 2 years removed from the Corps and I miss it but want something new and the Legion was the other option back when I was deciding which to do. Any of yall ever work with any Legion guys and can school be up on the differences between our infantry and theirs?

Similar Threads:

Read the similar threads below your post.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    the only thing about the FFL that doesn't interest me is the fact that you have to say goodbye to your friends, family, your life, even your own existence while serving with them

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, Joe, a harsh life indeed. For anyone interested, including the OP:

Legionnaire-5 years in French Foreign Legion--Simon Murray.....good book
    Legion of the Lost--American in FFL--Jaime Salazar---another good book
    FFL Complete History--Douglas Porch
    Life in FFL--How to Join--Evan McGorman

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That Simon Murray book---he became a big wheel in England, high finance stuff, very affluent, but he went into the Legion around the time I went into the Corps, and comparing the two, the FFL was ten times more brutal than Parris Island. I was amazed. Read that book if you get the chance. I thought nothing could ever compare with PI, but the FFL certainly did, at least years ago.

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/
    An unofficial site but very informative.

http://en.legion-etrangere.com/
    The official site, not for the OP, he already knows about this, but for members reading this thread.

http://xpatnation.co/things-you-dont...on/#.s84m91E0C
    Perhaps the most interesting information of all

Last edited by USMC 2571; 11-27-15 at 09:01 PM.

Yeah it's a harsh life, but to me (and Id assume to most infantrymen who enjoy what they do) the idea of it motivates me like a little high school boy who saw the Marine in his dress blues slay that dragon. I just feel ill regret it later in life so I'm about 80% sure I'm joining. I'd just like to prepare as best I can so im looking for opinions from legion vets and Marines who've served with them

I've never heard of a U.S. Marine joining. I've read about Royal Marines and Army officers. But not a USMC grunt

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post, number 6. I hope you don't mind the background of the FFL posts I made, I almost checked with you first to see if you didn't want all that on there, as it is your thread, and I was providing background FFL info for the readership here, in case they are interested.....I doubt you'll get responses that are exactly on point, i.e. that someone joined or knew someone who joined the FFL, but at least it's an interesting topic. I for one would like to hear about your steps taken toward joining, maybe right here on this same thread, just resurrect it as it falls, as all threads eventually do, to the bottom of the pile. It'll still be here, but in the archives, so to speak----good luck with this, and feel free to post here anytime whether or not you get specific responses---I find the FFL interesting and have read two of the four books cited. To me, the FFL is another world entirely, and maybe that's part of the appeal of it. Something very different from what we know and have gotten used to. An adventure in a time where few things are really new.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    (I'll try to get contact info for you re a guy in Canada who was a legionnaire, and was on a big FFL forum that I joined as a guest, some time ago.)

---------------------------

Done. I'll give you his email and info as soon as he gets back to me. This will give you an inside contact, at least. A lot better than websites and books.

Last edited by USMC 2571; 11-28-15 at 07:11 AM.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Good luck with that Matt. I knew a former Legionnaire. That ain't no calk walk Brother.

Nuff said from me...

I appreciate it guys, I'll most likely get back into PT shape over the next 6 months and maybe head to Paris next summer. Maybe I'll write a book and once and for all be able to compare it to our beloved Corps

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'll buy it Matt.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Matt, I now have the info, am sending it via PM right now. Good luck.

I'm pretty excited to hear back from him. I emailed him, I think deep down most Marines are curious about the Legion.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Not even DEEP down. LOL----it's an interesting organization, and kind of mysterious, and according to articles I've read, even the French don't know much about the Legion.

Thread Information