Enlistment and DQ's
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlistment and DQ's

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some insight. Been a long Journey to get to where I am today, I started at about 450lbs and now I'm down to about 300 at 24 years old, got Around roughly 100lbs left.

So my questions are is there a problem with Saggy skin when you try to enlist? also I lost the tip of my finger at work about a month ago just down to where my finger nail used to be, Its on my Non-Dominate hand and its my ring finger. also I'm missing 2 top molars on my right side and 1 on the bottom on the right side.

I know its best to ask a recruiter for this information but being overweight still I think its not the best thing to do at the moment. Just wondering if any of that will be a problem?

I appreciate it very much!

Similar Threads:

Regardless of what your weight is it is best to go see, or at least call a recruiter to find that information out. When I was in the DEP, there was a female who was working out with us for half a year to get her weight down before they let her into the DEP, but they not once turned her away from any of our PT sessions or looked down on her for doing her best.

Credits
    Savings
    That's understandable, My only problem with that is i'm still 12-18 months away from my goal weight anyway, So I think its way to soon for that. If I was only 20-40lbs away I would probably go talk to them. Not a little over 100lbs away though.

Your clock is ticking. The USMC is a young stud's game. Not only weight, but time is against you as well and you say you're 12-18 months away from even beginning the talking phase with a recruiter. Shipping to bootcamp could take months after that - even longer if any waivers are required. Realistically, you should probably make other career aspirations.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Agreed, Top---he wants answers, separate from the weight issue, and a simple phone call would get those questions answered, but he decides to wait for quite a long time before inquiring. To each his own, but he asked for some advice and that was duly given. OP, good luck to you. As far as losing weight, you've done a good job so far. chulaivet1966 posted something awhile ago about tips for losing weight, and with his permission I kept it, so if you want that post, let me know and I'll post it for you on this thread. Good luck to you.

I'll tell you right now, being able to enlist is a longshot; between the time it would take to drop 100 more pounds safely and how it coincides with your age, the missing teeth, and the missing finger tip, you have quite the uphill battle ahead of you. Your best bet would be, as mentioned earlier, to contact a recruiter NOW and be upfront with him about your situation. Give him a realistic, projected timeline for your progress, and see how he responds to it. That being said, continue to drop the weight, not for the Marine Corps, but for your health. Even if the recruiter says "no" stay on that path; you'll never know what doors open for you down the line.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent advice, as usual.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the advice, I did call a recruiter and am now working with him. He said none of that would be a problem as long as I don't go past the deadline for age, So I do have a challenge with weight lose and time, but that's nothing a focused clear head cant fix. He said once I'm within 60lbs I'm welcome to come to the workout sessions! Thank you all again.

Credits
    Savings
    Loss* apologies on the miss type

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good luck, keep us updated here on this same thread.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wow ! I didn't even see this thread before. You lost 150 lbs already ? That in itself is enough to be congratulated on. Keep up the good work, goal orientated and keep us posted on your progress.

Best of luck and health to you.

Thread Information