Need some guidance.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need some guidance.

Good evening all! This is my first post on here and I need some advice/guidance. A little about me, my name is Louis and I'm from Houston, TX...I'm 27 years old, 5'9", and approx. 218lbs. I really want to join The Marines but I'm getting really close to the age cutoff in Feb. What I want to know is do I have time to drop the weight and get in shape enough for IST or am I wasting mine and my recruiters time?

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    You've had 27 - years almost till now.

I'd be more inclined to tell you to,
    KICK BACK, relax, and enjoy life .
    You'd just get your ass in a sling
    for
    nothing.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Why not run this by your recruiter, who is experienced with this sort of thing? Let us know.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    chulaivet1966 gave me something to post for whenever the subject comes up of losing weight, but because you have a specific question about your CHANCES, etc, why don't you PM him and I'll post his post in the meantime, as soon as I locate it.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Posted by chulaivet1966 a couple of times over the years:
    ------------------------

Good day all....

OP....as stated, it's mathematics.
    Too many calories in the plate and not enough activity to burn them off.

Along with other comments...
    The body needs carbs but you need to reduce them significantly for the task at hand.

For carbs...a couple pieces whole wheat toast or oatmeal in the morning.
    Maybe a small potato, small portion or rice/pasta or beans at night with dinner.
    Don't eat late at night.
    Stay away from all simple carbs/sugars:
    no sodas (that shvt is poison if it's a daily habit)
    no twinkies, ho-ho's, chips, ice cream or common cereals and other empty crap that poses as actual food.
    For hot cereal - oatmeal, for cold cereal - Cheerios (if you're a cereal eater in the morning).

Protein:
    Stick with lean meats, chicken, pork, eggs, etc.

NOTE: the body prefers to burn fat cells as energy.
    If you keep the carbs very low then the body will grab the fat cells to burn for energy.

Start a daily cardio routine on a bike or treadmill (I'd suggest the bike)
    Work up to about 30-40 minute cardio sessions.
    Stay hydrated by listening to your body...drink when you are thirsty during the cardio session.

I've read for a long time that about 2 lbs. a week is a safe weight loss process.
    You may lose more than that for the first week or two but that will be some water weight.
    When that's leveled out, with your carbs reduced then the body will attack the fat cells for energy needs.

Exersize: stick with body weight routines like push ups, pull ups, crunches.
    Whatever boot camp movements they'll expect you to perform well.

You need learn about food/caloric content if you are serious.
    That info is all over the web.
    I may have forgotten a tidbit here but you have plenty to dig you heels into.

That's my take.
    Now...show the USMC and this forum what you're made of and keep us informed of your progress.

IMO, it's a little late to be joining the Corps, however if you feel that you can pass the requirements; can put up with the rigors of boot camp, and can tribute to the Corps, then go for it.

Not everyone can become a Marine regardless of their age. It depends on how strong your desire is.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Why not run this by your recruiter, who is experienced with this sort of thing? Let us know.
    I agree. Go see a recruiter TODAY (you don't have any time to lose). Take it from there (they may make the decision for you). Good luck.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I apologize for the late response but Thank you to everyone and all the answers I received. I know I'm cutting it close and I may not make it but I'm not going to give up. I'm going to talk with my recruiter and see what he says.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Let us know what he says, please. On this same thread.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    27....5'9".....AND 218lbs?!?

I'm not saying it isn't possible but.....40lbs just to ship and then have to maintain that throughout your Marine career...at your age now too?

I'd start thinking about doing something else

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I agree. Go see a recruiter TODAY (you don't have any time to lose). Take it from there (they may make the decision for you). Good luck.
    Agree Top and Dave !

No update on any progress? If you havent even started the process let alone training to lose the weight just stop before you waste anyones time. you would need to get down to at least 186 to be at a proper shipping weight, there is a possibility they will still work with you but it is all off of your motivationa nd dedication which based on this post you havent shown much.

1) You need to lose 32 lbs to even ship.
    2) You're 27 and getting older (age cutoff is 28 I believe)
    3) You waited this long, and let yourself go weight wise even though you say "you really want to be a Marine."
    4) Number 3 makes it sound like you have no other options in life at the moment and figured "eh what the h*ll, I'll give it a shot."

Add all this up and it really looks like you don't have to motivation to see it through to the end of recruit training IF the recruiter works with you and IF you even ship. Also, you're 27; what have you been doing since you finished high school?

Thread Information