Corps: Past/Present/Future
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member

Corps: Past/Present/Future

Past---One difference from "the old days" is that nowadays one cannot plan on staying in for 20 years. In the past, you could plan on it if you stayed out of trouble, did your job, etc. But now, things are much more complicated.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Past---at Camp Lejeune we had open squad bays like at Parris Island only on a larger scale. Does anyone know if Lejeune still has them, or are the barracks now comprised of rooms, where two or three share one room? I know that in supply, at Lejeune, just a year or two ago, they had rooms, no open squad bays. What about grunts on that base? Kegler300, if you read this, please advise. Munkyvsrobot is another who would know. Thanks in advance.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Future--Mongoose and I were just talking earlier tonight about how in the future, there might be a Camp Lejeune Beauty Contest for Transgenders, or some such indication of how things might be in 2040, the way things are going in 2015.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Present----I subscribed to Leatherneck Magazine until a couple of months ago. I found that the gear, the uniforms, the technology, is all so different from long ago that I had no idea what the articles were even about.

Anyone have any observations about past, present, future Corps, feel free to keep this thread going.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    Present----I subscribed to Leatherneck Magazine until a couple of months ago. I found that the gear, the uniforms, the technology, is all so different from long ago that I had no idea what the articles were even about.

Anyone have any observations about past, present, future Corps, feel free to keep this thread going.
    Cannot comment on the present Marine Corps as I really know nothing about it. The Marines of today should not comment on the Marines of yesterday as they know little or zero about what we endured. As long as there is a Marine Corps it will continue to be like this.

I don't know about today, but when I was at Lejeune in '77 to '79, and Okinawa after that we only had squad bays. I didn't have a "Room" till my last 10 months or so at 29 Palms in '81.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I don't think commenting on anything is harmful. Misinformation is, but not info, observations, opinions-----

Living in a Marine barracks today is like living at the Days Inn ... eating at the mess hall today is like eating at Denny's ...

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks----do the grunt unit barracks still have Open squad bays, Kegler300? I know some of the support units don't.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    What I envisioned with this thread is just to comment or ask questions about past/present/future Marine Corps, any aspect of it. What was this like? What was that like? Did they have this or that? What do you think things will be like? That kind of thing. Past---present---future.

It might be interesting...and if it's not? Let it fall to the bottom of the tons of obsolete threads.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    For example, Mongoose (Billy) and I were talking one night about the current USMC combat uniform and accessories, and we were looking at a photo of Joe (josephd) and neither of us could figure out what this or that gadget was for or how it was used, it looked completely foreign to us of prior eras.

I haven't seen an open squad bay since I lived in one in the 77-78 at Camp Hansen. Came back to the states and went to 7th Marines at San Mateo, and all of the grunt units had moved into the hotel style barracks.

Hell, things have changed a TON even since I got out in 2006, at least equipment-wise. A lot of the gear that was cutting edge when I was in Iraq, is either old news or obsolete now. The past several years have been monumental in the advances in equipment.

Its amazing how 13 years of being at war will drive the wheels of innovation and change.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Just my opinion here, but I think Grunts should always maintain tight cohesive living conditions, this creates unity and unit effectiveness which gravitates to the field environment..

Room's create, apartment dweller mentality...

Teams must act and work as one under adverse conditions to complete the mission without individuality issues cropping up in the field...

Just my opinion...!!!

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Silverado--amazing changes in such a short period of time.

Foxtrot---you're right. How can people interact with each other if they aren't even together.?

Thread Information