Sze issue for boot camp
Create Post

Sze issue for boot camp

In about ~1 month i will be shipped to san diego to attend boot camp....but I'm a little worried about how well ill fare based on my size I'm about 5'8" and 124 pounds. will i have a significantly harder time completing boot camp and doing long marches with gear that weighs more than half my weight? realistically are my chances of failure higher just due to that fact?

Similar Threads:

I wouldn't worry about it when I joined I was 5' 9" and was 129 lbs.. and back then we had the old haversack with no frame, now your gear is much better and supports your back better with the frame it has,
    you should be fine..
    keep up posted on this same thread,, best of luck to you on earning the title..

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good points, Pat----OP, you'll be fine, it is natural to get the jitters just prior to embarking on the great adventure of boot camp. What will get you thru it is the Can Do attitude, giving it 110% every waking moment. As long as you do that, and make up your mind to do it, you'll do well. It's physical but getting thru it is mostly mental, with attitude being the paramount thing.

OP, in my experience the best Marines were usually thin, short, scrappy motherfvuckers who had that indispensable quality of "heart" in spades. Others were huge, scrappy motherfvuckers with "heart" in spades and no quit in them. Even more were average height, scrappy motherfvckers with "heart" in spades. Notice the common denominators there. Marines come in all shapes and sizes. You won't be at any more disadvantage than anyone else, unless you allow yourself to be.

You will be fine. When I went through boot camp, we had a 5 foot guy from Laos. During any type of physical instruction, he was paired up with the 6'3" 230 pound recruit. Just to prove that the methods of training and desire to succeed will overcome almost every obstacle that is put in front of you.

In a few months, why don't you post back up and let us know how you did?

Thank you all for the help. I actually had no idea marines could be some where around my size. I will be sure to post again when I earn the title !Also, one more thing...what should I be expecting when I do arrive at boot camp? Is it really as hard as people make it out to be?I wouldn't be one to back down from such an experience but in reality what should I go in expecting to see?

Chaos. You're gonna see chaos. It's not as hard as many make it out to be, and it's harder than anything you've likely done before. The hardest part is the mental games that will be played with you. You're gonna get fvcked with. Period. No matter how perfectly you think you are performing, at some point you'll be singled out. Eventually, you'll figure out what's going on, and you'll be fine, but at first it's sheer chaos. No way you can prepare for it except to go in with the attitude that you will not fail.

PJones64
    Guest Free Member
    This part of the site is paid for and monitored by the Marine Corps Recruiting Service, so it is accessible not only to poolees and wannabes but moms and dads, so let's keep it like it's not the Political Section or Marine Only sections.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, one guy got banned for swearing in here, and he had no idea who monitored this area of leatherneck

My fault. My language is strong because that's how I'm used to speaking. It's a rough old world out there, and critters like me are a necessary product of it. No offense intended. Just trying to drop some knowledge on the lad. Won't happen again.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    All I read was normal Marine language

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Heart.........

Semper - Fi Heart

Some may wear the uniform

And even look the part
    But to truly be a real Marine
    You must have a "Semper-Fi Heart"
    This "Heart" is not "Earned in Boot camp"
    But is "Developed along the Way"
    And it "Grows" because of "Dedication"
    Through "Service" each and every day
    "Semper" is Latin for "Always"
    "Fidelis" means "Faithful" and "True"
    "Faithful" when things don't go your way
    And "Faithful" when they do
    You may not understand the rationale
    Nor even know the reason why
    But the "Mission" will be "Accomplished"
    When your "Heart" is "Semper-Fi"

You're a poolee. In order to ship to San Diego, you'll need to pass the IST. If you can pass your IST, then you're qualified for the physical rigors of bootcamp. The mental/emotional obstacles are a different story.

Credits
    Savings
    Marinecorpsbootcamp.........

IT isn't about the size of the dog "in the fight"

It's more about about the size of the " fight in the dog "

what you should probably do is stop crying and feeling bad about yourself before you have even made it to Parris Island/San Diego if you are already acting this defeated and you havent even done anything in the Marine Corps yet you are in for a rude awakening.

There are people who are 15 lbs under their minimum that still have completed boot camp. Those who can, do. Those who cannot get the hell out of the way.

Thread Information