Humble gesture ?
Create Post

Humble gesture ?

Hey marines, i was wondering....
    say you were a high ranking NCO
    say you're a MSGT and you decide you don't wear your rank, or if you do, you don't wear any of your medals, ribbons, etc. just a blank uniform, BUT they wear it presentable and walk with dignity.

say they do this because "they don't want people treating them any differently"

ex: GySGT says "where are your (stuff i listed) and attempts to chew them out", turns out they're a 1stSgt

i know there are rules towards wearing something that you didn't earn, but what if you DID earn them, but choose not to wear them,

is this a grey area ? or are there rules regarding not wearing pieces of the uniform, (yet wearing the required articles) and wearing and walking with dignity.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    rank is a requirement, no Marine of any rank in their right mind is gonna NOT wear the rank they earned...we aren't the Army where everyone is a "sarge"

service members(Marines anyway) are NOT required to wear all their awards though, with certain uniforms we are authorized to wear just unit awards or just the National Defense ribbon/medal(not personal). Eg. A SSgt at my unit only wears his National Defense Medal to the ball each year, he does it just to be funny

Credits
    Savings
    Medals -Badges- Ribons-Awards -

are not always worn or displayed
    as required by the UNIFORM of the DAY

"Rank" is always part of that uniform

WannaBe should know what the word UNIFORM
    means and stands for-
    Uniform doesn't mean " I WANNA "
    or " I'm not Gonna "

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    What a stupid thread ........Go have another doughnut, Jackwagon....

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    rank is a requirement, no Marine of any rank in their right mind is gonna NOT wear the rank they earned...we aren't the Army where everyone is a "sarge"

service members(Marines anyway) are NOT required to wear all their awards though, with certain uniforms we are authorized to wear just unit awards or just the National Defense ribbon/medal(not personal). Eg. A SSgt at my unit only wears his National Defense Medal to the ball each year, he does it just to be funny
    Not sure this is true.
    4. Marines will wear all large medals to which they are entitled on dress"A" coats
    1. Marines will wear all ribbons to which they are entitled on service anddress "B" coats. Ribbons will be worn on the dress "A" coats only asauthorized in paragraph 5202.

You will most definitely get chewed out for not wearing rank insignia. It's a requirement as Josephd mentioned. Even on the Gore Tex jackets, I've seen Marines get chewed out for not wearing rank insignia on that little flap on the jacket.

On this topic, one of the funniest thing's I've seen was a Private (no rank insignia) stop a couple of PFC's put them at parade rest and ask why they didn't salute him; when they indicated they don't usually salute E-1's, he looked down at his collar, had a shocked look on his face and tells them to carry on. Turns out said Private was a Lt who simply forgot to put his rank insignia on.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That's hilarious, LCPL....beautiful story of a forgetful young Lieutenant-----OP< as others have said, rank is always required to be worn, but some of the other things are and are not, depending on the uniform.

Is this a serious question? Humble gesture? What self respecting NCO, SNCO hell even Marine would choose not to wear their rank.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I have to tell you folks, I get the biggest kick out of munky's responses sometimes. He is helpful, knowledgeable, squared away, on active duty, but he calls them like he sees them on these threads that are borderline. You never have to read between the lines with munky's posts when he rightfully loses patience with some of these questions. Great posts, munky, keep em coming, as some of these questionable questions keep coming.

Wannabes are wannabes for a reason - they know nothing and are naturally inquisitive (some have never been exposed to the military). Hence, the purpose of this particular forum. What seems weird and pointless to us, makes perfect sense to them as they don't know any better. As long as they are respectful while here, let's afford them the benefit of the doubt (does not cost us anymore time/effort).

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, that goes for the vast majority, but it certainly cannot be denied that there IS in fact such a thing as a stupid question, contrary to the popular expression that says otherwise. It may be motivated by curiosity, but it is still questionable (some of the questions, not many, not the majority). My observation was that Munky handles those kinds of questions very well. Again, so there is no misunderstanding, the vast majority of questions here are legitimate. But as on any forum in the world, some questions are questionable in themselves. Any of us may disagree on that, and that also is normal.

thumbs up x100 to you sir
    yeah i was just curious

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I understand. It's just a fact of life that some will like certain questions and others won't. No big deal, it certainly does no harm. But in general, questions are good, and you're lucky that these days you're able to ask and get answers. In bygone days with no computers there was no one to ask.

Thread Information