Insight on making the Infantry a career - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    exactly. Its not as easy as it used to be in prior decades, hence the posts about not being able to "plan" on staying for twenty years, so many factors have to come together, as you said. I wanted to be sure the OP knows this, that he cannot in fact "plan" on staying for 20 years the way you would plan mostly anything else

Yeah, I wasntintending on jumping down the kids throat. But I do notice myself getting more short with people and more disgruntled, i am the plt sgt for my shop doing the work of the SNCOIC while he has been away the past few weeks and having to deal with peoples crap all day will do that to you.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    yeah thatll do it Munky, hang in there and hopefully the boss will be back soon.

Life is good at the top, but you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Quote Originally Posted by marine1011 View Post
    yeah thatll do it Munky, hang in there and hopefully the boss will be back soon.
    The boss is here I can handle the work load and responsibility hell i am glad i gt to be the man at the top ive earned it.

Life is good!

Stop by my office in Bldg 1 next to the Traffic Circle and introduce yourself.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    Yeah, I wasntintending on jumping down the kids throat. But I do notice myself getting more short with people and more disgruntled, i am the plt sgt for my shop doing the work of the SNCOIC while he has been away the past few weeks and having to deal with peoples crap all day will do that to you.
    my exact position also

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I understand what everyone is saying, I did not intend to make it sound like I'll just blow through everything and do 20..I know it's getting harder to stay in and there's a lot I have to do..just wanted to see if someone has been in for a while in the infantry and could tell me what it was like for them..I also understand it's different for everyone. It was just a question.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    mph--I strayed a bit from the other part of your question, and it was indeed a good question. I addressed the difference between past eras and today, but so far no one has talked about the second part of the question, whether anyone was IN the infantry for any length of time and what it was like etc. This happens on threads all the time, we get sidetracked and we sidetrack ourselves.....others will be along who might have experience in this area you're asking about.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    USMC2571 , I understand and it's fine rather. I meant no disrespect I was only meaning to clarify my statement and question further.

For what it's worth, I believe that Kegler 300 answered the initial question by the OP in post 6, concerning whether a person could make a career in the grunts. During my time in the Corps; the Marine Corps League as a Judge Advocate, and the Vietnam Veterans of America, I can't remember many who pulled twenty(20) years in the grunts because of the reason Kegler gave. His answer was on track and to the point.

I'm completely behind the person who is willing to do 20 or more years . . A case that speaks to that, is of one of the Corps most Iconic marksmen, Carlos Hathcock. He did 19yrs. 6 mo, and was not allowed to ship over. It remained a very touchy subject with him until the day he died, but the fact remains, he was not qualified to do so. The Corps took good care of him, as they should have, but the facts remain, he was not qualified to ship over, and I have never met a Marine more deserving.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    At this time I yield the floor, respectfully, to my brother Mitch, Hammer3. LOL---OP, let us know if we can answer anything else, and keep us updated.

Kegler300: small Corps! My very first assignment out of MOS school was at Bldg 1 as a clerk for the Assistant Chief of Staff, Logistics, MCB, CLNC. Was with HqCo, HqBn, MCB. Was also in the rotation for the color detail that did morning/evening colors. Was on the intramural softball team that won the base championship in 1973.

Also agree with your statement regarding one's joints being a major factor in the shelf life of a grunt. Despite technology and our best efforts, the combat loads for grunts continues to grow.

As far as a military career goes these days. What a wannabe perceives life in the fleet to be like, and what it actually turns out to be, are two distinct things. There are just too many variables (pro and con) to even give it serious consideration at this point. One must spend at least a couple years in the fleet to establish a base of experience in order to begin thinking about a second enlistment. 75% of first term Marines do not reenlist for myriad reasons (job satisfaction is the #1 reason they get out).

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    mph was saying he was thinking about making it a career. Some have said that you cannot automatically make it a career. You cannot plan on staying in. Is this true, I think he wants to know.

Thread Information