past tourette's
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: past tourette's

past tourette's

Gentlemen I am trying to enlist in the marine corp and I had mild tourette's up until I was 18 years old. I was denied service for past tourette's in a long drawn out process that went way above MEPs all the way to the board of Navy medicine. They've never seen me, they don;t know that I can speak 3 languages, that im an engineering major, that I can do 28 pullups and 110 pushups, they're denying me for a problem that I solved 2 years and 3 months ago.

Who is the board of navy medicine and what criteria did they use to DQ me?

Is there a way that I can appeal this

can I meet with one of their doctors myself, because they weren't really letting me participate in my waiver process

what task is there that I may potentially not be able to perform. It didn't stop me from wrestling or any highschool sports, or acing my calculus and physics classes, so I'm really at a loss for what there is I can't do.

I never smoked weed as a kid, I have excellent grades, I've stayed in good shape, I live a healthy life. It kinda sucks to be treated the same as a GED kid who smokes weed

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    BUMED is the board that DQ'd you, tourettes is one of those non-negotiable ones as far as I am aware

can you appeal it?...yes

No you cannot meet with a BUMED doctor yourself, you don't get to participate in the waiver process and for good reason. They're decision is strictly based on the ailment/issue at hand......they don't, won't, and shouldn't take into account you fitness, GPA, SAT/ACT scores, acing classes in physics and calculus, etc, etc...when it comes down to it none of those(besides fitness) make you a potentially good Marine

you are not being treated the same as a GED kid who smokes weed because a recruiter wouldn't even consider them..you at least got to pursue it until BUMED rejected you

Funny part: If you were a "GED kid who smokes weed" you'd have a chance. But with your physical ailment, your chances are precisely zero. Once BUMED says no, it's a no. I know a few that tried to appeal a BUMED denial...none were successful.

but I don't have tourette's anymore, I used to shake my head 2 years ago and now I havent had any symptoms since. how do they figure it would hold me back at all? because it hasn't held me back from anything. is this decision of theirs just arbitrary?

Think about the consequences should your condition worsen, or re-present itself at the worst possible time. Then consider the extreme mental stresses of being a Marine, in combat. Don't you think it's reasonable to assume that a person who has been diagnosed with a mental ailment like Tourette's would have a high likely hood of displaying the symptoms of his disorder under those extreme mental and physical stresses? People with perfectly healthy minds and bodies crack under these pressures, and even though you aren't currently experiencing symptoms, you are not a flawless specimen. Are you willing to put the lives of Marines in jeapordy so that you can fulfill your goal? If the answer is yes, that's pretty selfish.

You don't have control over when your symptoms return or not, therefore it is unwise to risk placing you in a situation where their return could cost lives.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabara83 View Post
    but I don't have tourette's anymore, I used to shake my head 2 years ago and now I havent had any symptoms since. how do they figure it would hold me back at all? because it hasn't held me back from anything. is this decision of theirs just arbitrary?
    No it's not an arbitrary decision. It does not matter that it has not held you back since your head shaking 2 years ago. They don't know that it will hold you back from anything in the Corps...what they do know is having a prior condition like this could can show its ugly head under stressful conditions(physical, mental, and emotional). Last thing the Corps needs is a Marine that cannot function properly under intense situations

And don't tell me that you can handle it based on acing a physics test or being an athlete. The amount of stress you'll be under at boot camp and possibly in combat on deployment is nothing like you've ever experienced.

You aren't understanding that your condition(past or not) is a disqualifier, what you've done recently doesnt matter....you are a liability, plain and simple.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    The pushups don't count, but the 3 languages and the pullups should get you over the hump.

I'm sorry that your quest to become a Marine has come to an end, but it is line with "The Few, The Proud-The Marines". It's a tough thing to become one of the few, however the Corps is very selective. Unfortunately, because of your medical history(and I'm no Doctor) your quest has ended to become a Marine.

As others have stated; you can appeal the decision, but based on my knowledge, you would only be prolonging the need to face reality. My advice would be for you to face reality and move on. The quicker, the better.

Credits
    Savings
    [QUOTEI'm sorry that your quest to become a Marine has come to an end, but it is line with "The Few, The Proud-The Marines". It's a tough thing to become one of the few, however the Corps is very selective. Unfortunately, because of your medical history(and I'm no Doctor) your quest has ended to become a Marine.

As others have stated; you can appeal the decision, but based on my knowledge, you would only be prolonging the need to face reality. My advice would be for you to face reality and move on. The quicker, the better.][/QUOTE]

I agree young man ! get on with whatever your future holds?

"Are you willing to put the lives of Marines in jeapordy so that you can fulfill your goal? If the answer is yes, that's pretty selfish."

no I'm not, but as subtle as my symptoms were back then, and as far away as they seem now; all I want is a chance to get to the starting line. I don't know what kind of stresses I can deal with, but my experience has shown me that it's a lot. If I crack then they probably should give me the boot, but I also know that I completely outclass the poolees who are at my recruitment office right now. Just let me go through a test or something

how do I appeal it?

Have you asked GOOGLE yet?

I found this Erratum MCO P1100.75c section 8.5 that "Applicants appearing for reexamination because of previous disqualification for a remedial or temporary medical condition will undergo a physical inspection if the previous examination was conducted within 2 years. The physical inspection will place emphasis on the previously disqualifying defect." but it's worded weirdly. does that mean it has to be within 2 years of the decision?

Is Tourette's temporary or remedial?

Thread Information