What are my options?
Create Post

What are my options?

Hello All,

My father was a Marine in Vietnam and I am very proud of him! I only wish in hindsight that I had joined when I had an opportunity but now being 47 it is only wishful thinking.

It did get me thinking about some things though. Are there ways a person can serve as a civilian or volunteer with the Marine Corps? I would love to be a part of the Marines in whatever capacity would be allowed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Joe

Similar Threads:

You could try the Marine Corps League as an associate member. Way more of those than actual Marine Corps members. Also, the Marine Corps and Army hires civilians as government employees. Almost like being in the military. Some even deploy.

Wow, those are great options and I am grateful for the feedback! Thank you very much.

I would start looking in here. They hire a lot. If you would be willing to ship overseas, even more opportunities. Don't know if you're in the market for any kind of new career field. I am locked in myself with a career but if I was young and had the opportunity, I'd go look into these....

http://godefense.cpms.osd.mil/employment.aspx

Thank you, 29palms! I have emailed the Marine Corps League to get more information and I now have a lot more to go on. You all are awesome and I appreciate the input.

Don't want to take any air out of the balloon...federal job opportunities for civilians may be difficult as there is a mandate to hire veterans first. Check USAjobs.gov, online portal for federal job postings. You have to go through this first screening hurdle. If you have a specialized skill or experience that cannot be recruited from vet pool, getting hired better. Good luck!

No worries there, fl1946! I am just examining my options and I am sure one of them will be a right fit. I am just glad there are options.

Quote Originally Posted by fl1946 View Post
    Don't want to take any air out of the balloon...federal job opportunities for civilians may be difficult as there is a mandate to hire veterans first. Check USAjobs.gov, online portal for federal job postings. You have to go through this first screening hurdle. If you have a specialized skill or experience that cannot be recruited from vet pool, getting hired better. Good luck!
    Used to be, but don't know now, that veterans would get certain points added to a civil service exam. The most points given to war veterans such as VIETNAM ERA for instance. Nothing really beats the well prepared and educated when it came to these exams, but if the veteran was smart and good at taking test, maybe had a little educated, those five points could come in very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by joejohnston3 View Post
    Hello All,

My father was a Marine in Vietnam and I am very proud of him! I only wish in hindsight that I had joined when I had an opportunity but now being 47 it is only wishful thinking.

It did get me thinking about some things though. Are there ways a person can serve as a civilian or volunteer with the Marine Corps? I would love to be a part of the Marines in whatever capacity would be allowed.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Joe

You can join the American Legion in the S.A.L. as long as you have your fathers DD-214 and the V.F.W. Men's Auxiliary as long as you have his DD-214..
    Good luck.

That's another good point as stated above. You can also join SAL RIDERS. If you ride a bike. They are big time. I bet they have more members in SAL than American Legion eligible members.

Thread Information