Do reserve or do active...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do reserve or do active...

So for months now I have been struggling to either do active duty or reserves. Here is little about me and my situation.

(About me)
    I am 25 year old student in 2nd year in a college trying to major in computer science degree. Transferring to 4 year university to get my BS is a huge goal for me at the moment.

Ever since I graduated from High school I always wanted to enlist in military, but when I went to the recruiter right after graduation I found a bad news, that I could not join with just a student visa, and needed at least a permanent resident (Green Card).

(My Situation, Active vs Reserve struggle)
    I am now 25 years old, and am happily married with a wonderful wife and no kids. After finally obtaining a green card, I have decided to pursue my childhood dream and enlisting in the Marines.

If I was younger I would just sign active duty with no hesitation, but now that I am 25, with a wife, and a dog that I love very much and old, with a goal of getting BS degree in computer science, reserve seemed like the best option for me.

(Parents / Wife / My thoughts)
    Both of my Parents
    highly encourages me to just do Active duty for more pay and better benefits.

My wife wants me to be in the reserves, because there is no way that she will quit her job at google to move around with me, which I understand. I actually had to argue with her to even for her to consider letting me go into reserves.

My self interest Reserves I really want to do active, I lived in San Jose CA all my life, and really want to travel the world, only thing that concerns me is what I have stated above. My age being 25, which means if I do active I will be even more delayed for school, also my wife will not move with me, which means I don't even qualify for BAH I believe, since she wont be physically be with me. But actually biggest reason is that I would not like to be away from my dog for like 4 years.

My self interests, Active.
    If I can get the BAH without my wife being physically present and have my dog with me where I am stationed, I would join active. I am aware there will be deployments and wont be able to be around my dog at all times.

And yes I do love my dog more than my wife, that's how much of a dog person I am

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Finish school first, then think about enlisting. Joining the reserves is going to set you back a year in school, at least.

You love your dog more than your wife?!?!....if that is a serious statement your priorities are EXTREMELY skewed, not sure I want someone like that in my Corps to be completely honest

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    josephd, we have, more'n likely, a bored Marine on watch somewhere.

after I mindless wrote my paragraphs I did not meant to say I love my dog more than my wife literally, I just meant it as that he needs to be given more care than my wife since he is a senior dog, so would be my priority that he is with me, which basically spells out I should do reserves, but my greedy part of me tells me to do active. Sorry for the confusion

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    "And yes I do love my dog more than my wife, that's how much of a dog person I am"

Not only did you mean to say it, you even explained why you said it. So I guess what you're saying now is not that you didn't mean to say it but that you shouldn't have said it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunminkim View Post
    ..so would be my priority that he is with me, which basically spells out I should do reserves, but my greedy part of me tells me to do active. Sorry for the confusion
    how about neither!....I understand a love for a pet but c'mon, if a dog is going to dictate your decisions in life.....you should not be a Marine....

I really hope this whole line of thinking by you is a joke

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Having perused this thread thoroughly, it is my professional opinion that the original poster should become a veterinarian rather than enlist in the Marine Corps. I think it might be a better fit.

Who says you can't travel the world as a reservists? I've been able to go to Africa and soon, to Korea. Also travel across the US. My honest opinion, you seemed already established at home so I would say join Reserves. Active requires alot of time away from your family already. If you have the option, do what's also best for your family. At the end of they day, if you don't have family to support you then it makes it that much more difficult.

Credits
    Savings
    Stick with the dog...
    nobody's gonna like you as a reserve.

Reserves...obviously.

Good luck being a contented and productive active duty Marine without a supportive spouse (does not happen).

If you are a geographic bachelor (your wife is not residing with you), you will be required to live in the barracks (the USMC is not going to pay you to maintain separate residences). That means, no pets. You would have to board your dog somewhere off base. That would be even more problematic if you were sent to Okinawa, Japan (2 year assignment). Living in the barracks means - no BAH since adequate quarters are being provided. Being a Marine means chances are good you'll get deployed somewhere (not a combat deployment - a training deployment) for months. You will never see your dog during that time.

You love your dog more than your wife.....ummm ok dude. Why'd you marry her? This has to be a damn troll post. No you WONT get BAH if your wife doesnt stay with you on Active Duty. You'll live in the Barracks like everyone else. Maybe wait until Congress allows you to marry your dog, then, MAYBE you'll get BAH. Your wife works for Google, I assume she has some kind of STEM degree (science, technology, engineering, math) and had to get a competitive job over many other people. Also, Google is something like one of the most desirable places to work....so I can understand her not wanting to walk away from that. THAT BEING SAID, here's my advice:

If you go active, you throw away your marriage and essentially lose your life the way it currently is. You wont keep the dog, no pets allowed in the barracks. You sure as h*ll wont get BAH since your wife wont leave with you, and you'll most likely deal with divorce anyway.

Your only option is the reserves. You keep your wife (and dog), and still get to be a Marine. You'll also be able to complete your degree in a timely manner.

GO RESERVES.

I can see it now:

Recruiter: So why the Marines?

Poolee Kim: My dog told me to do it.

I don't care about the precedence between dog, wife, children or whatever you may chose to do with YOUR life, but personally, I'd do active duty or none at all. Reserves in my opinion is for those that have done a bit of active duty time and wish to bridge some sort of retirement. Reserves is a good deal for Marines but not for the Marine truthfully. Very little benefits tied to it, that is why I say, if you got your active duty time in, you got the benefits, then reserves is ok to try to bridge in your pension. You give up a lot being reservist, first, your ass still belongs to Uncle Sam, secondly, you get limited locally, so if you get a job offer in say Montana, you gotta leave New York and find a close by reserve unit, its just a hassle.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    ?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29palms View Post
    I don't care about the precedence between dog, wife, children or whatever you may chose to do with YOUR life, but personally, I'd do active duty or none at all. Reserves in my opinion is for those that have done a bit of active duty time and wish to bridge some sort of retirement. Reserves is a good deal for Marines but not for the Marine truthfully. Very little benefits tied to it, that is why I say, if you got your active duty time in, you got the benefits, then reserves is ok to try to bridge in your pension. You give up a lot being reservist, first, your ass still belongs to Uncle Sam, secondly, you get limited locally, so if you get a job offer in say Montana, you gotta leave New York and find a close by reserve unit, its just a hassle.
    this x1000

I am a reservist and I couldn't agree more...

the reserves has enough issues with Marines that think it's ok to go UA also because they think something in their life takes priority over drill weekends(GF's, BS jobs, being sick, etc)....the reserves doesn't need another Marine that thinks it'd be ok to miss a movement for his dog

Thread Information