Self harm
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self harm

Self harm

When I was in 8th grade my family doctor had me on a medication that depressed me to the point of me thinking it was a good idea to put 10 little cuts on my left arm. Well not only did they take me off the meds but my mother (ruined my old mans life. Currently trying to ruin mine) freaked the **** out and decided to contact my school guidance counseler, my family doctor, a private therapist, and a psychiatrist. I'm currently in 11th grade being a normal 16 year old, talking to my old man (former marine force recon) about my desire to enlist in the corps, but theres 1 problem. I'm still stuck with these stupid little scars from 8th grade. Since then I've been in a good couple of stressful/crazy situations. When I come to a brick wall my mentality is to kick that sucker in and keep moving. Right now these scars are my brick wall. I've been told that these scars PDQ me from every service (and law enforcement). What I want to know is are these statements true? If I have any chance of getting through MEPS what do people think I should do? I'm already headimg to the recruiter for more info. Right now I just want as much info/as many opinions as possible. And don't tell me its pointless or impossible because I'm gonna go ahead and try anyway. If I have to go down I'm putting up a fight.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    go talk to a recruiter

How bad are these cuts? You'll have to document them, and document the reason you have them, which takes us back to depression and self harm. These are HUGE red flags in the military, especially when enlisting. I'll go ahead and say what you don't want to hear; it's a long shot. But go talk to a recruiter. Good luck.

My suggestion is do yourself a favor go find a new hobby. The Marine Corps does not have a spot for you. not trying to be harsh but trying to be honest. If you desire attention the Marine Corps has the opposite of the attention you desire.

Shoot straight with the recruiter. Come back and tell us the verdict for future reference (this situation comes up from time-to-time).

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The OPs supposed aversion to cutting is not reflected in the very interesting username.

Still haven't gone. Supposed to be in the works. USMC2571 my username reflects the fact that I have become a knife collector and a knife maker. I also offer knife sharpening as a service to people who dont know how to do it. It must be ironic that someone with my "background" would end up where I am today but to be quite honest I think it is the practically the ultimate sign of how far I've come. And if it does tun out that the corps is in my future, well I'm no liberal. I don't do the victimhood lifestyle.

My old mans been teaching me how to make blades with the forge and an anvil. I guess this can be considered "my new hobby." Just started learning to fight with a karambit knife too. Nasty little little blades there.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Sorry. My error. You can see why I jumped to conclusions. Cutting. Bladecraft. But still, it was a conclusion that made sense at the time. Thanks for clarifying all that.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    And just by the way, stay in school. You made it to the 11th grade so far. I dropped out in the last month of the 10th grade, got a GED later, went on from there. But I should have stayed in school---everyone says that. So stay in and graduate. The Corps will still be around when you graduate. Good luck, keep us posted on this same thread, just bring it up again even if it falls to the bottom of the pile, which it eventually will.

So evidently I'm incredibly over disqualified from the marine corps or any of our armed forces in general. For anyone reading this thread looking for information, if you cut in the past forget about the military. If you had any depression in the past or were an outpatient for more than 6 months then put simply, the military really doesn't want you. They've got plenty of applicants without any sort of baggage. Seeing as I'm about as stubborn as a redwood tree I'm looking into the possibility of joining a foreign military (the british armed forces at the moment). Only when I've explored every option there is will I be willing to accept a defeat

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    French Foreign Legion

That is an option. Although my very first choices are english speaking countries for easier integration. If those options don't pan out I will definitely consider the legion

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You have to accept more than defeat, you have to accept facts, the fact being that the Armed Forces have certain standards to be met like any other entities, that goes without saying. And I hope Joe is kidding around about the French Foreign Legion, because that is one heck of a challenge.

Read Legionnaire sometime, by Simon Murray, now a big wheel financier in England. He joined the Legion and it made Parris Island look tame. But anyway, explore all your options, but don't be blinded by a stubbornness that says hey, I gotta get in. You don't have to get in anywhere, just explore all and see what they say. Again, good luck to you, I really mean that. Keep us posted.

Through my searching I found some information on the canadian army. My scars wouldn't be as much of a problem for them as they would be here. While that doesn't mean it wont be a problem at all, with a canadian citizenship I have very good chances of being accepted into the canadian army. Seeing as this is the country thats the most like the US, and I don't have any personal issuew with moving, this seems like a logical decision.

Thread Information