Protein question
Create Post

Protein question

I'm trying to gain weight for bootcamp so I've been going to the gym lots should I invest in a pre workout protein drink or would that help build muscle and gain weight some people told me it would be bad because when I go to bootcamp I won't have it and my body will be used to it what do you guys think thank you for the help

Similar Threads:

Are you underwieght? Like, severely underweight?

Quote Originally Posted by LCPL1341 View Post
    Are you underwieght? Like, severely underweight?
    Nothing severe just barely over but I want to bulk not close to my goal

Bulking makes your slightly overweight problem worse. I fail to see where you are trying to go with this thought process. Also the Marine Corps isnt looking for meat heads they dont care about how much you can lift they only care about how many pull ups, crunches you can do and how fast you can run three miles. They dont care what your bench or squat is.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah12345 View Post
    I'm trying to gain weight for boot camp so I've been going to the gym lots should I invest in a pre workout protein drink....thank you for the help
    You never said how much below weight you are or when you enter boot?

IMO....
    I haven't lifted in a few years but I used to buy a protein supplement for several years when I was lifting but that was it...no other trendy bvll shvt that permeates the market.

If you're trying to gain weight many protein supplements do have up to 35-50 carbs per serving.
    So...that could help you gain weight but don't get hung up on it.
    Stick mainly to whole foods, lean meat on a good daily eating/exercise regimen.

If you are going to add a serving of a protein supplement note the amount of carbs in the recommended dosage (2 scoops usually), stick to that dosage and take it post workout. (chocolate was the only flavor I like but vanilla is good too).
    Also...if you buy cheap shvt it will likely taste like styrofoam or paper mache paste.
    Try a small amount of a brand and go from there.
    Of course, some will argue pre or post is best....judgment call for you.

I would have some hearty carbs pre workout like a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat) and even a cup of coffee an hour or so pre workout.
    Stay hydrated.

As stated don't worry about actual bodybuilding....all that bulk is unnecessary.
    Boot camp will take care of what you'll need: determination, conditioning and endurance.
    You'll just need some real heart to earn The Title.

That's my take on it.....good luck.

Carry on....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Also...if you buy cheap shvt it will likely taste like styrofoam or paper mache paste.
    How do you know Wayne ? Did you eat the glue & paste in cradle school?

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    How do you know Wayne ? Did you eat the glue & paste in cradle school?
    Brother Bloop....

No....I was far dumber than that.
    I thought I'd cut a fat hog in the azz when I first started lifting (2005) and tried a...ummm...well...cost effective brand.
    Lesson learned!
    Our gourmet Korean War C-rats having stale crackers & a yellow cheesy glue was far more palatable.
    Can't recall if it was in the B1, B2 or B3 pack.

Stay tough....SF

I wouldn't worry about bulking up before you go. It's not like it's going to help you make it through boot camp. If anything focus on endurance. The night before my son's graduation, I was talking with another dad. He said his son was on double rations because he was so small. When I met the young Marine the next day, I couldn't believe how small he was. 5'5" maybe 135 pounds maybe. But you know what? He did the exact same things everyone else had to do to earn the title.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Depends on when you're shipping out, if it is within the next few months....No, just go eat a few cheeseburgers from McDonalds or something and drink ALOT of water.

If you aren't shipping out for 6 months or more than yes I don't see a problem with taking any sort of protein/mass gainer. I would suggest staying away from any sort of pre-workout though, if you don't cycle it correctly and don't come off of it at a good time it will mess you up when you do ship out to bootcamp(I didn't cycle off of mine in time and was in rough shape for my first few weeks at boot).

I wouldnt worry about weight at all. I went to bootcamp weighing 119lbs and i am 5'10". I did it just the same as anyone else. they put me on double rations and i bulked up to 130 in boot camp(still under my minimum) and it has never caused any problems...as long as you are athletic you will be ok. its the skinny kids that never left their house that have the problems.

Thread Information