enlistment and meps
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

enlistment and meps

I was falsely diagnosed with an eye disease by the contracted eye care company throughout meps and I've gathered all the proof from other doctors that show that I do not have the disease and have sent multiple waivers with those documents to the department of the Navy but still get denied for a disease I don't have. What can I do?

Similar Threads:

Once BUMED (Navy Bureau of Medicine) denies you, its hard to get a reversal or even fight it. Its a crappy situation. Hopefully someone who knows more can come along and help you out. What is the disease exactly? Were you denied at MEPS during your regular MEPS physical? Was it the MEPS doctors, or some outside optometrist?

It was keratoconis. I may have spelled it wrong but that's pretty much how it looks. And it was an outside optometrist that meps had sent me too.

There is an appeal process for active duty personnel to BUMED findings. That process is a slow beauracratic nightmare that rarely gets reversed. It sounds like you have already done the same thing with your multiple waiver requests. How many times do you want them to tell you "no"? It's obvious by now they are not going to change their minds. You can try appealing to your Senator or Congressman but they are reluctant to question medical authority. May be worth a shot since you're obviously not going to get anywhere with BUMED (a letter from your Congressman may get their attention and what do you have to lose at this point).

They can say it as many times as they want until they say yes. I've gone though my congresswoman here where I live and still was denied for the disease I don't have. Even gave more proof

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickpc2 View Post
    They can say it as many times as they want until they say yes. I've gone though my congresswoman here where I live and still was denied for the disease I don't have. Even gave more proof
    I can appreciate the tenacity you have to keep pursuing this and not letting people tell you "no" but.....how far is too far?.....at a certain point you need to move on with your life....

IMO you have reached that point, you've contacted a Senator or "congresswoman" (or so you say) and they still told you no. I understand that you don't(may not) have this disease but even with stacks of paperwork from the surgeon general himself saying you don't have it is not really going to sway anyone.

When it comes down to it, and we've all said this to numerous wannabes like yourself asking about how to get in, the Marine Corps(Military as a whole) has the luxury right now of being pretty particular about who they let enlist. Any sort of waiver required or undesirable trait the Corps has the right to turn you away.

I am not telling you to give up but......

I'm willing to go as far and as long as it takes to be in the military. It's all I've wanted since I was 6 years old and it's our family tradition and I want to keep it going because none of the rest of my carey brothers want to go into the military. I'm going though the army right now and have an appointment on the 20th for the doctors appointment to be cleared and taking it to them scheduling a meps date and taking it to the meps doctor for review and to be cleared of this. If I make the army after my contract ends I want to re-enlist and transfer to the marine corps. Talked to my recruiter and said it was possible to get into the marine corps that route and I'll do anything to get there no matter how many times someone tells me no. Been told by several friends just to give up and I've told them no family has backed me up and a contact from the marine corps has told me not to give up and just keep pushing the issue. People have even told me to sue the doctor for miss diagnoses or whatever. I want to be in the military it's been my goal for my entire life and I'll fight for it to happen and I've been fighting for a year now and will keep fighting till someone says yes

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Your case is different from a lot of threads where someone is asking about a waiver, but in your case you didn't even HAVE the said condition in the first place, so it is doubly bizarre that no one seems to care to look at that, in the enlistment process. Mind-boggling. Yes, someone with a disqualifying condition, yes, we understand, but someone with NO condition who was mistakenly diagnosed? Baffling.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    How much info do they want or need in order to understand that you never had this condition? That is so far unanswerable.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Just tell them....."Give me what I want, and I'll go away ... the happier they will be, "but of course, such matters are ultimately up to you."

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    He's got the documentation he needs to refute the earlier diagnosis, so there should be no major problem. I hope for a return to common sense in this country someday, but apparently that is a long way off.

I went to 2 or 3 different doctors and have 4 documents and getting more on the 20th. I'll keep fighting it till they listen and won't stop until someone really high up tells me to go away

My suggestion would be to hire a Lawyer and let him make the case for you. Secondly, I would contact Ray Mabus, Secretary of the Navy, and tell him that you are facing some of the same things he faced when he was Governor of Mississippi. Mabus is a good guy, and he will listen. He was a Military Guy; unfortunately in the Navy.

unfortunately even a false positive diagnosis in this case is seen as a positive diagnosis unfortunately that is the nature of the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickpc2 View Post
    I went to 2 or 3 different doctors and have 4 documents and getting more on the 20th. I'll keep fighting it till they listen and won't stop until someone really high up tells me to go away
    What type of doctors did you see?
    If BUMED DQed you, anything else most likely will not help you. MEPS is DOD and all services can see your DQ and will probably follow BUMED recommendations.

Thread Information