Mos 5811, mp
Create Post

Thread: Mos 5811, mp

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Mos 5811, mp

Hello everyone, I am trying to enlist into the marine corps as a 5811, MP, just waiting on some medical stuff. I would just like some insight from any current or former Marine MP's. Most of the articles and posts I've read have been from more than 5 years ago and I was just wondering how it has been recently or if it has changed much. Is military police what you thought it would be? was it worth it? do you wish you picked a different MOS? What I really want is to get into MOS 5812 and become a working dog handler because it seems like such an awesome MOS but I understand it to be very competitive. How long do you have to be in 5811 before applying to 5812 or to even be considered? Thanks for any insight !

Similar Threads:

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    Should be in Ask A Marine. A squad leader will probably move it in there. This section is for locating particular Marines or units.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thread moved to Ask a Marine

Credits
    Savings
    O alright thanks, sorry I'm new to this site

Are you going reserves? Unless you're joining the reserves, you wont be able to enlist into a specific MOS, just the MOS field.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I can't answer most of those questions as I am not a MP/5811 but I do know you can get selected for 5812 dog handler out of the MP school house in Ft. Leonardwood, MO. It is EXTREMELY selective though and goes to high PFT'rs and high ASVAB scores.

And like LCPL1341 pointed out unless you are going into the reserves you will not get to pick 5811 as an MOS. you will get to select the 58xx field and then cross your fingers and hope you get to be an MP(although there isnt many other specific MOSs available under the 58xx umbrella other than MP.

Good afternoon,

As a current 5811, and have been for 6 years now, this is how it works. you enlist as a 5800(Military police/corrections) then after boot and MCT, you get selected to be a 5811 and then you go to fort leanordwood, MO fr school. towards the end of the class cycle the instructors have a board and if you win the board you head down to texas for k-9 school and the you are a 5812 after completing the training.

Now, I personally love my job. I wanted to be a cop, but the Corps decided to make me a field MP first(like infantry but we don't have to walk everywhere and we always became turret gunners) then after 2 years of that, I was sent to provide security for the presidents helicopter and salute him for 3 years(another perk of being an MP(they also do selections for that at the school house). And now I am in Korea doing Police work. I tell you all this so that you know that being an MP isn't all about writing tickets, there is a lot more opportunities that it provides. K-9 is a very hard job to get in the MP field because everyone wants it. having known a lot of handlers its not about going to work everyday and hanging out with lassy or fido. those animal are trained TOOLS not pets. so if you thought it was fun and games DO NOT try to be a handler. I met handlers that acted that way and it ruined the animal and its effectiveness.

Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions feel free to PM me or just reply on here.

Sincerely,
    Your resident Blue Falcon

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Good post.

Key point here is - it's a gamble. One may have their heart set on being a MP but end up herding prisoners at some brig/prison. How lucky do you feel?

Credits
    Savings
    Alright thanks, I was considering the reserves because I had thoughts of going back to college but I would much rather be active duty.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you, very helpful information. How does the board work exactly? Is it like the people at the top of the class get selected first?

I also had thoughts of becoming a cop but my biggest dream is becoming a marine and serving my country. I want MP because it's a combination of both and I want something that will transition into a career after the military. I would actually prefer field MP over strictly doing the police work so I wouldn't be disappointed if that happened.

And yes I am aware of how serious being a dog handler is. I most certainly wouldn't treat it like playtime or anything like that. I've been trying to do my research on it and I can tell how big of a role those dogs have in the military.

The board works like this (if I remember correctly):

Towards the end of the class cycle they will have allMarines who are interested in becoming K-9 handlers write a paper about whatmakes them the most qualified to go to K-9 school. After the instructors readall the papers they choose their top picks to compete on a board, meaning youwould report in, answer a series of questions that the instructors ask, andthen you are dismissed and walk out. After that whoever the instructors likedor thought did the best on the board gets the school seats.

Now it has been 5 ½ years since I was at MP school so thingscould have changed, but the board should still be the same. If you are selectedat the school house there are still chances in the fleet. All you have to do isvolunteer your times at the kennels and when a position opens for a K-9 handlerthen they will select someone to go, if you volunteer enough and they like youthen you are pretty much gaurenteed the slot. And there is no specific time youhave to be in the fleet to get it. I have seen kids show up after 3 weeks andthen get sent to K-9 school. Just depends on your attitude, willingness tolearn, and just luck sometimes.

Glad to hear you won’t be disappointed about being a field MP;those were the greatest 2 years of my career so far. Being a cop has alwaysbeen my passion and it is definitely something you can transition to after theMarine Corps. I know a lot of guys who were MP’s and now work at various sheriffsand PD’s around the country.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you so much for all the information, it has been very helpful ! It definitely sounds exactly like what I want to do and I'm certainly up for the challenge, now I just have to play the waiting game. Take care, if I have any more questions I'll make sure to ask.

Credits
    Savings
    thank you

Thread Information