infantry weapons officer "gunner" - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Going to forego stranger danger and message this gunner on linkedin.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Just when we think we've heard it all.

WOW, a Gunner in Recon/MARSOC/SS... what next

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    What's next is wanting to make Gunny out of boot camp, given the entitlement epidemic. LOL

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    I know a kid who recently made Captain out of boot camp, but he had wanted to make Major out of boot because he was the guide, scribe, squad leader, etc but he had to settle for just Captain. He requested Captain's Mast then was disappointed because they wouldn't allow him to hear his own case as he WAS the Captain. It got real real complicated and ugly. He was eventually busted down to E-2 after the Corps got tired of his entitlement complaining.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    But he made Colonel the very next year. Corps sure has changed.

As I stated before, and will now clarify even further. I know I can't make gunner out of bootcamp. I know it will take many years; if it even happens at all. All I am trying to do here is learn more. I am an intelligent person. My recruiters have been dogging me to go the commissioned route. In every branch, not just the Marines. I still get calls about my ASVAB and I took it 2 years ago.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    All branches are dogging you. That is great news. Please let us know what the lucky branch turns out to be! Good luck. And getting calls for a test you took two years ago. This is good news for you, to be a kind of celebrity among recruiters. That makes things easier. I hope things go well for you, sounds like you're on your way to an amazing career, no matter what you choose to do!

That is exactly what plagues my generation. Too many of my classmates think the world should be laid at their feet.

If you would like to get in touch with a Gunner, PM me. He was an enlisted recruiter and was also the OSA that oversaw my progress when I was a candidate. He's since taken the plunge and I'm sure he wouldn't mind answering questions, however far off in the future this may be for you. My roommate at TBS was also a warrant officer, but he isn't the gunner type.

Quote Originally Posted by marine1011 View Post
    I know a kid who recently made Captain out of boot camp, but he had wanted to make Major out of boot because he was the guide, scribe, squad leader, etc but he had to settle for just Captain. He requested Captain's Mast then was disappointed because they wouldn't allow him to hear his own case as he WAS the Captain. It got real real complicated and ugly. He was eventually busted down to E-2 after the Corps got tired of his entitlement complaining.
    I need to meet this guy, the best I could get out of boot camp was, well... I didn't go to boot camp, and I'm not even a captain yet! haha

#24 hits right on the head for His generation !!! When did Marines start getting entitlement ? and can they be retroactive ...

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    The problem with post 24 is that it includes the OP, most likely, and that I found strange, that he would talk about his peers exclusive of himself.

No, I am not excluding myself...I went to public school...of course some of it will have affected me too.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    That was nice of the Lt to offer you to PM him about that information. Seldom do any of us see someone looking 15 years ahead rather than making immediate plans and so forth. Good luck to you. That PM should help.

Thank you. I try not to make any rash decisions without taking time to consider the outcome. Especially if it is going to affect the rest of my life.

Thread Information