Please read, any advise is appreciated.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unhappy Please read, any advise is appreciated.

So while I was in L.A. for school I was thinking about joining the Marines. When I found out I wouldn't be getting any financial aid I had to drop out and I didn't know what the heck I would do now that I wasn't going to school or playing basketball. So I started to look for work which was nearly impossible for someone with zero experience. After a while I went back to the idea of joining and after some encouragement from my aunt I contacted a recruiter. Sergeant Evan Barragan was amazing, he made me feel really comfortable and at ease. Now the main problem I had was being overweight, I was 5'4 at 170 lbs of Polynesian meat. So the process of weight loss started. I was really surprised that he allowed me to workout with his poolees and super excited to get to work and getting started on my journey to be someone better. But then my dad got diagnosed with cancer and I decided to come back home to Hawaii to help with the bills and such. That was about 3 years ago and I am still working to this day and helping out. Although my dad is a bit better I still haven't given up my goal to join. Now the big negative is my weight once again only I am at 190, yes I know really really reallyyyyyy overweight.

But I didn't let that stop me the first time, so I started running and dropped couple pounds. It wasn't enough so I am asking if there is anything else I could do besides eating healthy and running.

Also if every recruitment station offers to help with the weight loss process or was that only in L.A.?

Thanks for reading my life story (sorry bout that btw) and once again any advise whether it's positive or negative is welcome.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Any recruiting station should be ok with you coming and joining the pool functions, just go talk with the local office.

Running only burns so many calories, once your hear rate settles you kinda peak with the calorie burn. You need to incorporate some weights and strength training, which if done correctly will burn more fat/calories than running ever will....low weight/high reps. It may get kinda boring but stick to eating stuff like grilled chicken and steamed veggies and the weight will drop...quickly!

Credits
    Savings
    Will do, I want to drop couple more pounds and lose some minutes on my 1.5 mile before I go to the recruiting office so I don't look like an elephant trying to be a cheetah.

And yes I been eating chicken and other proteins. Just not steamed veggies, gotta hit the grocery store!

Also with the weights and strength training, do you have any workouts I can do?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javm View Post
    Will do, I want to drop couple more pounds and lose some minutes on my 1.5 mile before I go to the recruiting office so I don't look like an elephant trying to be a cheetah.

And yes I been eating chicken and other proteins. Just not steamed veggies, gotta hit the grocery store!

Also with the weights and strength training, do you have any workouts I can do?
    nothing in particular no.. just get into a normal chest/tricep, back/bicep, shoulders, and legs routine...each having their own day of course. compound lifts like dead lifts and squats will give you a good burn, just be sure to use proper form and low weight so you don't hurt yourself.

Oh! and drink alot of water....no soda!!

You are also fighting the battle of genetics which is a big disadvantage for you. Just means you'll have to be even more determined than the average individual. Good luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Okay, I'll do that. So like Monday, Wednesday and Friday I can focus on my lower body with squats, lunges etc. And Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday upper body excercises?

Water is my new best friend!
    I don't run everyday, should I change that?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You are also fighting the battle of genetics which is a big disadvantage for you. Just means you'll have to be even more determined than the average individual. Good luck to you.
    Yes that's true, my family is big boned so its hard but I am determined. Thank you

I can only speak for myself and my station, while it's mandatory for our poolees to attend one pool function a week and to attend the IST one weekend a month, we allow anyone that is interested to come to our pool functions whether they're over weight, under weight or right on track.

Credits
    Savings
    And I believe the USMC is the only branch that does that, I've talked to other branches and they all said something like "sorry you're overweight, drop the pounds then you call us back" it's very discouraging. I mean if I can't pass the height and weight requirements for those branches, what makes me think I can even think I can be one of The Few and The Proud? And I'm not trying to sound whiney or anything but after hearing that from all the other branches I am really hesitant to even attempt to contact a recruiter. I know recruiters are extremely busy so I wanted to hold off a little bit, drop the weight so it doesn't seem like I'm wasting their time. That's why I was wondering if all USMC recruiting stations let people join the pool functions, but your reply soothe my nerves a bit,thanks

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Okay, I'll do that. So like Monday, Wednesday and Friday I can focus on my lower body with squats, lunges etc. And Tuesday , Thursday and Saturday upper body excercises?

Water is my new best friend!
    I don't run everyday, should I change that?
    yeah whatever works for you really

Chest/tricep on Monday
    Back/bicep Tuesday
    Shoulders Wednesday
    Legs on Thursday
    Off on Friday
    Chest/tricep Saturday
    Back/bicep Sunday
    So on and so forth...

NO DO NOT RUN EVERY DAY!....Your day off after Legs would be a good day to do a light 2-3 mile jog to loosen up your legs. And then 2 other days in there somewhere. Be sure to incorporate short interval sprints and long distance in there

Credits
    Savings
    Right got it, I'll fix a schedule up and get to work. Hopefully this'll get more results quicker! Thank you once again!!

Don't over do it. I know you want to see quick results but if you injure yourself you'll set yourself back and have to rehab. Be smart. Listen to your body. There is good pain and bad pain (bad pain means something is wrong and you need to stop before doing more damage).

Credits
    Savings
    I won't, I learned that the hard way unfortunately but I understand.

Really off topic, but I was reading a thread by a Matt C. and a comment from USMCARivera caught my eye, he stated that he isn't taking recruits that require waivers more than surgeries and small things. Is that all recruiters?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Make sure you PM USMCARivera in case he doesn't wander back in here. Unfortunately for a lot of folks, these days the climate is different as far as getting in the Corps is concerned. With the current reduction in force, there are many more applicants than spaces. This means recruiters can afford to be, and are, selective. Why bother with waivers when they have plenty of applicants who don't require waivers for anything?? This is the unfortunate state of things. In my era, you could join up with little or no problem. There was always room for one more body. And you could PLAN on staying in for 20 years, absent any problems. But all that's changed. Good luck to you, but have Plan B ready, i.e. other branches checked out, just in case. Keep us up to date here on your situation. Just find this thread, which will quickly drop out of sight, and post on it with updates. Hang in there.

I won't, I learned that the hard way unfortunately but I understand.

Really off topic, but I was reading a thread by a Matt C. and a comment from USMCARivera caught my eye, he stated that he isn't taking recruits that require waivers more than surgeries and small things. Is that all recruiters?
    that is a decision I made, with approval from my CO, as SNCOIC for my station only because we are making well above mission at this current time. That isn't a Marine Corps-wide thing. If your station needs bodies you'll get in once you fit all height/weight standards. I can only speak for what I know though.

Thread Information