MEPS screwing me around - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Other than pride it makes no sense to be selective its not like the Marine Corps pays you millions a year so everyone is trying to do it etc. You basically sign up to get treated like property and make an average wage. Which I am ok with, it just makes no sense why so many other people want to do that same thing that it gets to the point of being extremely selective.

Here are the reasons the services can afford to be so extremely selective these days (has nothing to do with pride - it has everything to do with numbers and budgets):

Everyone is not trying to do it - only 1% of our population serves in the armed services. But, that's all we can afford right now. The military is shrinking big time due to sequestration and dwindling defense budgets. Just watch CSPAN on TV and all the generals repeatedly telling Congress the military has been cut to the bone already. Therefore, they do not need the bodies they once did. The Marine Corps has already disbanded some infantry units, artillery batteries, and aviation squadrons and if sequestration continues will have no choice but to continue doing the same. Since they're not taking the numbers they used to, there are more qualified applicants than there are spaces for them. It's been that way for years now. The USMC has exceeded its enlistment and reenlistment goals the last decade (remember, it's the smallest branch so doesn't take that much to do). That means, just being eligible and qualified now days does not guarantee anyone a contract. Recruiters have the luxury of picking-and-choosing who they're going to offer a contract to (so they're naturally only picking the best). MEPS doctors have the luxury of being picky about who they qualify medically. That is their prerogative as doctors and is certainly not against the law. In fact, it is their mission based on the current manpower constraints.

Now, like you say, if we ever do get into another shooting war, and need to expand the military again, the rules will be relaxed and recruiters, MEPS doctors, etc. will not be able to be so picky about who gets in. Until that happens, you are stuck with the current situation. You can try to fight the system with a lawyer which will take years (and you may lose anyway), you can do what you have to do to give the docs what they want, or, if that is not possible, move on with your life and seek a different career path. The decision is yours.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Oh and my brother is a Marine and even he confirmed that this whole situation is just so suspicious.
    I applaud your brothers service as a Marine.....but your brother is not privy like us and you to what goes on at MEPS and the RSS.....he is opinioned just like us..."Give them what they want and they'll leave you alone.....

First off, MEPS can do whatever they want as long as what they're asking for is relevant to the case. Secondly, you act as if it is your right to be accepted into the military, like they HAVE to let you join. This is a perfect example of the things that myself and other recruiters deal with on a daily basis.

Marine1011
    Guest Free Member
    I would start with the Supreme Court of the United States of America and work down from there. They are sure to hear a case like this.

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Narcissism can be a personality disorder, but even when it is not, it is prevalent and epidemic in today's society. This stems from the Do Your Own Thing popular in the 1960s and just now reaching its logical conclusion. i.e. narcissistic personality.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCARivera View Post
    This is a perfect example of the things that myself and other recruiters deal with on a daily basis.
    Ha....I don't know how you are able to put up with the entitlement attitude so you have my respect for any tolerance for it.
    If I were in your shoes....I'd only choose the best of the best that didn't involve any whining about requests of waivers for this, waivers for that, I'm special and deserve it.
    But, that's just my take.

My my...things and attitudes have certainly changed since my Pleistocene Era of service.
    Being a Marine is not a right as previously stated and recruiters decide.
    End of story...plenty of other branches to enlist in.

OP...good luck on your quest.

Carry on....

Right now, we actually aren't taking on kids that require waivers for things other than surgeries and small things like that. Even those gets are having to wait. We have the luxury of being selective right now and you better believe that myself and the recruiters that work under me are taking full advantage of this. Personally, I wouldn't even recruit this kid.

Right now, we actually aren't taking on kids that require waivers for things other than surgeries and small things like that. We have the luxury of being selective right now and you better believe that myself and the recruiters that work under me are taking full advantage of this. Personally, I wouldn't even recruit this kid.
    Hmmm.....that works for me.
    Belly up all.....thanks to ARivera I'm buyin'!

Stay tough Sarge.

Back to it....

Right now, we actually aren't taking on kids that require waivers for things other than surgeries and small things like that. Even those gets are having to wait. We have the luxury of being selective right now and you better believe that myself and the recruiters that work under me are taking full advantage of this. Personally, I wouldn't even recruit this kid.
    But. That's SO unfair! Even his Marine brother says so!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    But. That's SO unfair! Even his Marine brother says so!!
    Hopefully he doesn't pursue legal action. Lol

Lol if they arent taking men with small issues then they better as hell not be taking women which they are, what a joke. I have 2 female friends that got recruited and the fact they have turned away my friend that broke his arm a few years ago and now he is some brawny guy that is actually smart is just laughable, as they take a bunch of small females as Marines. Not even being sexist its just realistic.

Women AND open gays! Transgenders are just around the corner. But, you're the one busting your a$$ to join the club so it can't be that bad.

Cool thread. Good luck suing the government. Ill be looking out for MattC v. Department of Defense. Itll be in the history books, kids will read about how the Marine Corps lost out on a golden opportunity by not recruiting Matt C. I usually have something constructive to offer, but this thread was comical lol. Just give MEPS what they want or something close to it, you dont have a leg to stand on in this situation.

Yeah. For someone who wants to join the military so bad, he sure enjoys bashing the hell out of it. For what? If he ever does get in, he'll make a good sea lawyer (every unit needs at least one).

Thread Information