Guaranteed MOS???
Create Post

Guaranteed MOS???

Some people have told me the USMC, doesn't guarantee the MOS you want, but put you where they need you. I've also heard that they can guarantee the field you want just not the particular MOS. Is this true?

I want to get 0311, but if that wasn't guaranteed would I still get a MOS under 03xx?? Either way the USMC is what I want to be apart of one day and I'll go wherever they would need me, but just wanted to know how it really works as far as getting the MOS you want.

Similar Threads:

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    I think I can answer this, somewhat...(big emphasis on "think".

Send a private message to two knowledgeable and helpful Marines here. They usually stop by in this section, but PM them in case they miss it. I know they'll have the latest info munkyvsrobot and josephd

I'm under the impression that the overriding factor is "the needs of the Corps" (as it was in my era).

But the Corps can guarantee the MOS field but not the specific job.

The only thing you are guaranteed as active duty is the oppertunity to become a Marine and an occupational field. as a reservist you are guaranteed an MOS assuming you pass recruit training and your MOS school. everythign else is needs of the Marine Corps. This question is asked on almost a daily basis.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    The only thing you are guaranteed as active duty is the oppertunity to become a Marine and an occupational field. as a reservist you are guaranteed an MOS assuming you pass recruit training and your MOS school. everythign else is needs of the Marine Corps. This question is asked on almost a daily basis.
    this

I have nothing further to add

futurerec17, look, the first time you have leverage over the service is when you are enlisting... so, if you want 0311, then enlist for 0311 and don't ship until you get it. period. if you want in before that then enlist into something that sounds remotely interesting and latmove at your earliest opportunity. done.
    take what you read here and on any forum with a grain of salt... and, there are waivers for everything, remember that.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hbomb View Post
    futurerec17, look, the first time you have leverage over the service is when you are enlisting... so, if you want 0311, then enlist for 0311 and don't ship until you get it. period. if you want in before that then enlist into something that sounds remotely interesting and latmove at your earliest opportunity. done.
    take what you read here and on any forum with a grain of salt... and, there are waivers for everything, remember that.
    I agree with the leverage thing and not shipping until you get what you want...

..but lat moving, into the infantry especially, is improbable

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    I agree with the leverage thing and not shipping until you get what you want...

..but lat moving, into the infantry especially, is improbable
    It can happen, just remember if you are an NCO when you lat move if you go to a victor unit they will hate you with every fiber of their being.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    It can happen, just remember if you are an NCO when you lat move if you go to a victor unit they will hate you with every fiber of their being.
    yes, it can....keyword in my post "improbable"

Thread Information