An Armed Force That Has More PC Types Than Warriors - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This must be a Wingers b.tch session... LOL We had a few women in our shop - I level Ordnance - and except for maybe one (didn't know her too well but didn't think much of her from what I did know) we had no problems with our WM's doing their jobs. Even had one 6521 (build-up) who was thrown to the wolves. She weighed 5 Lbs less than the ammo cans and could hardly see over the flatbed of the 2 1/2T that she lifted 'em onto. They actually tried to break her as it was "men only" in build-up. This gal was tough but was also the 1st to say there should be a strength requirement for working in build-up or as a 6521 as it is such a physically demanding job. We also had very messed up hours as our shop was supposed to have 100-120 Marines and we had about 60-70. When you take away the ones who are out on Dep to Okinawa, WestPac and to the PG (the 1st one, not Dessert Shield/Storm), not to mention any collateral duties that various Marines are assigned to, you are left with very few Marines to keep 8 squadrons going. The women along with the men got the job done.

Now, ya want b.tchin' .. here's some b.tchin for you. I actually had more of a problem with the Marines who lived in town - or how they were treated. They (the command) would be more lenient on a 2 year LCpl who lived out in town than they would be on a 4 or 5 year Cpl or Sgt who lived in the barracks. These guys could be ½ hour late to work - consistently, yet let your car break down just once and have to hoof it into work and you caught hell. I ended up as the Duty Driver two Thanksgivings in a row. Good spot as you only work nights and the weekend starting Mon at 1600 hours and ending the next Mon at 0730 and then you get two full days off. But with Thanksgiving the weekend starts at 1600 hours on Wed and doesn't end until 0730 on Mon. I had a couple officers get mad at me for not being well shaved and pressed when they came in on post and I asked them if I could head over to the barracks for a shower and a shave. Each of the SSgts and Capt’s that came in only worked for 24 hours. We had a guy come into our shop who knew the books but never worked on a piece of gear. He was meritoriously promoted to Cpl and to Sgt. He even made Sgt before I did (though I got the last laugh, CMC promoted me with a back date a month before his promotion) and all the while he carried the Maj's briefcase. I had a SSgt who was a real winner too - gave me an "official - unofficial counseling" because I did not field day my room - when I was on LEAVE! He called me in a had me sign the paperwork and all so that they'd have it on file. I ended up an "office pogue" often because I was found to be able to type well and actually could catalog and file - I was made Training NCO as well as IMRL and Production Control. It all worked out well though - I'd make a "deal" with my top that if I go out on this "assignment" would he put me on the next Dep to Oki or WestPac. I got it each time - A WestPac, Oki and an Iraq Pac. So I got to "Winter" in the South Pacific and summer in SoCal. Not a bad way to spend yer tour! Okay, there was that bit in the PG but it was sunny there too - when ya could see the sun.

I guess women in the Corps depends on the command. Hold ‘em accountable just as they would the men. Expect and accept no more and no less. Overall, I guess I was in good commands. Or, maybe it’s just an Ordnance thing....

IYAOYAS!

Credits
    Savings

Talking

Hi 'Barrio',

I believe part of it was the 'climate' of my commands, for sure.

And I sure agree with the 'towners' thing. Even the single Marines in town got 'cut a huss'. And I hear you on the 'Duty driver' deal too! Too funny. Or not.

1st Sgt Mike; I'm STILL laughing at your last post!

So, now ya'll know a 'little' (sorry about the 'rant mode') more about me!

Semper Fi guys, and GIRLS!

Rich

Registered User Free Member VMGRMech's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by MAJMike
    If women are so worthless in mechanical fields as many of the posters above seem to think, then explain to me how we managed to develop such massive air superiority with aircraft that were by and large built by women during WWII?

There is a big difference between "PC" and having negative attitudes towards women.

If you were on active duty and exhibited this mind set, you would be a candidate for sensitivity training.
    I tell you what, send Rosie the Riveter to my shop and I'll let her build all the B-17's she wants. Untill then please send me some WM's with an intrest in maintaining aircraft, Thanks a bunch.

BTW I didn't say worthless I said they make bad mechanics.

As far as the brown bagger thing goes the military is most certainly the only job in the world were being married automatically increases your wages.

Imagine going to a job interview:

Prospective Employer: This job pays 30k a year

Prospective Employee: But I have a family.

Prospective Employer: Oh, what hell make it 35K, cause we like you and your kids.

Enjoying this discussion---in fact, LMAO!

Shop? What the hell is that? FMF didn't have much in the way of shops nor did we have WM's, so life was good. Screw "PC".

Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    shop - n. also shoppe
    1. A small retail store or a specialty department in a large store.
    2. An atelier; a studio.
    3. A place for manufacturing or repairing goods or machinery.
    4. A commercial or industrial establishment: a printing shop.
    5. A business establishment; an office or a center of activity.
    6. A home workshop.
    7. A schoolroom fitted with machinery and tools for instruction in industrial arts. The industrial arts as a technical science or course of study.

In this case it, numbers 3, 4 and 5 would best apply. Sorry GSO, Wingers - Platoon? Battalion? Company? Squad? WTF is a squad? LOL We had a MAW, a MAG, the MALS (used to be a H&MS) and other squadrons and then within the MALS and squadrons you have your various "shops" - Air Frames, Support Equipment (used to be GSE), Avionics, PC (not politically correct but Production Control), Power Plants, Ordnance and perhaps a few others. Ya know, long hair, greasy uniforms (except for those tweeks in avionics) and the marching abilities of a 1st phase recruit! LOL

? Barrio_rat, your point? I somehow missed it.

I dunno Barrio_rat-some of the places I was at weren't as good as a home workshop.

OTOH, I see lot's of happy Marines here!!!
    "A grouchy Marine is a happy Marine"

Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by VMGRMech

I tell you what, send Rosie the Riveter to my shop and I'll let her build all the B-17's she wants. Untill then please send me some WM's with an intrest in maintaining aircraft, Thanks a bunch.

BTW I didn't say worthless I said they make bad mechanics.

As far as the brown bagger thing goes the military is most certainly the only job in the world were being married automatically increases your wages.

Imagine going to a job interview:

Prospective Employer: This job pays 30k a year

Prospective Employee: But I have a family.

Prospective Employer: Oh, what hell make it 35K, cause we like you and your kids.
    It's true that there are women I work with in the civvy sector now, that perform job functions I wouldn't and COULDN'T perform! Not even because I wouldn't like 'em, I just plain don't have the aptitude, OR interest.

I think the 'root cause' is the fact that your ASVAB scores 'qualify' you for a MOS, which is worth 'NADA' in the fleet. Regardless of getting through 'A' school.

I show up at my job of going on eight years tomorrow, don't do it WELL..................................

....................I lose my job. Period. Eight years, countless hours would not matter. The 'rubber meeting the road' matters.

As VMGR drew an analogy, no one pays my mortgage(s), or feeds my family. I do.

WHAT THE HECK IS EVERYBODY'S NAME ANYWHO!

Sorry, I just spilled my guts on this thread, feeling a little vulnerable............ NOT!

Semper Fi

Rich

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Answering questions.

Shop? It's what my wife does for entertainment. When her purse and credit cards were stolen, I never reported the loss. (The thief was spending less than she did.)
    =====

"It's true that there are women I work with in the civvy sector now, that perform job functions I wouldn't and COULDN'T perform!"

Are you talking about Monica Lewinsky?
    =========

"the brown bagger thing".

There's not much room for argument there.

I realize that some short sighted people married a bar-room slut so they could brown bag it, only to discover that the costs required to support her children exceeded the additional income.

bidi bum bidi bum bidi boom.
    =================

WHAT THE HECK IS EVERYBODY'S NAME ANYWHO!

"Everybody" is the multiplepluristic term for "they". I've had a lifetime of difficulties demanding to know who "they" are. And now, you want to know who "everybody" is? Rots of Ruck, Charrie.
    ===================

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the 'illumination', I think, 1st Sgt!

I jsut have an 'aversion', so to speak, in regard to talking with, I think it's called 'screen names', or whatever. Kinda new to this, stuff, but I HAVE posted a fair amount on 'Grunt.com'.

But what the hell. Gettin' a little toasted, and happy to to hang with people I can talk with. Can't ride my bicycle to work in the AM, too much snow here in Coloado today; if I gotta drive, it may as well be hung over!

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    RichLundeen,

Track my posts.

I play, I tease, but if you check enough of them out, you will learn exactly who and what I am.

If I have a problem with someone, or something, it is handled "behind the barn" so to speak, by PM.

I don't feel I "toasted" you. Without looking back on a specific, if I made a comment, it was related to a thought or an idea, and NOT to an individual.

Individuals, like you and I, come and go. Here today, gone tomorrow. It is the ideas, the ideals, that linger long after we are gone.

I wouldn't waste my time arguing with an individual. But I would put up my beliefs, arguments, rationale against any credo I disagree with. I take it out of the back room and put it on the front page.

It's not the individual I want to educate/benefit, but to give food for thought to those looking/listening in.

My "screen name" is firstsgtmike. I sign off on my posts as Mike Farrell, Cagayan de Oro, Philippines. Going back through my posts will give anyone an accurate picture as to exactly who and what I am.

And if a psychologist chose to make it a term project, ................!

That's scary.

Got a question? Pm it. I'll answer it. If I feel my response should be considered by a larger audience, I'll post it, without ever mentioning who, what, where, when, or how.

I enjoy the time I spend here. But I also consider it as a very limited payback for all, and to all, that I owe.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Hey, good morning from cold Colorado, Mike!

I meant I was getting toasted last evening, as in a little Jim Beam!

Thanks for expanding on everything!

Semper Fi

Rich

Thread Information