wannabe female marineee
Create Post

wannabe female marineee

Hi So I've been a Guest for the Marine Corps for 7 months now, my recruiter has had me get a bunch of letters for my medical records and such, but I have hypothyroidism, it is controlled by medicine and in my paperwork and letter from my doctor it even says I'm okay to go and I won't have any physical things hold me back, if that makes sense... My recruiter told me as long as I'm on medicine I can't join? But the regs say as long as its controlled its okay? I'm so confused.. Is there a wavier for this ? This is the one thing holding me back.. Or is there any other branches that allow hypothyroidism controlled by medicine? I need help please. . I've been trying to join the military for a year now..

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You cannot go to boot camp on prescription medicine. You have to be off of it. Then you would need to be clean so long....but since this pre existing condition requires daily medication I believe the recruiter is correct. You would be a liability if something happened to you. There is an active duty recruiter that comes on here Hulbek try PM'ing him and see what his answer is. I also would say that the other branches of service would say the same...but you would have to ask.....If you were already on active duty and contracted this condition...you may or may not be allowed to stay with out being sent for the (PEB) Physical Evaluation Board to either keep you or discharge on medical. Good luck!

Thank you for your response.. I appreciate it.

I'm not sure how it works the other way around but I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease while in, post deployment, and after a radioactive ablation I am looking at going hypothyroid. It won't interrupt my continued service, nor my ability to reenlist. I guess it depends on how severe your hypothyroid is, if you can maintain weight while off of synthroid ect. You should consult your doctor. If your post ablation like me though, and you depend on a synthroid a day to keep the reaper away, the chances are incredibly slim as I believe they are right that you can't join with mandatory medication. We had one drop on the first week because he needed a daily pill and somehow slipped through the cracks and thought it would be provided for him at bootcamp. It was a bad call. In summary, discuss it with your doctor, get a professional opinion (preferably in writing) and then if possible, come back to your recruiter with a plan.

Speaking from experience you'll only get sent to a PEB due to Hyperthyroidism, or it's two advanced forms Grave's Disease and Hiroshimoto's. If you don't opt for the ablation. Hypothyroid isn't considered a condition that can cause you to be declared unfit for service because many of it's effects can be managed with exercise, clean/structured eating, and medication with little to no side effects. If you do manage to get in, do not become one of the Marines who can't make weight and blame it on a condition that is well inside their sphere of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    There is an active duty recruiter that comes on here Hulbek try PM'ing him and see what his answer is.
    You mean Huklebuk

Quote Originally Posted by Achillies View Post
    Speaking from experience you'll only get sent to a PEB due to Hyperthyroidism, or it's two advanced forms Grave's Disease and Hiroshimoto's. If you don't opt for the ablation. Hypothyroid isn't considered a condition that can cause you to be declared unfit for service because many of it's effects can be managed with exercise, clean/structured eating, and medication with little to no side effects. If you do manage to get in, do not become one of the Marines who can't make weight and blame it on a condition that is well inside their sphere of control.

Do you know if there are any ways to help me get in with it or any waivers that the Corps has ?

joseywales
    Guest Free Member
    Some of those people mentioned will probably end up in here to help you, they don't check in every day, be patient and hopefully you will end up with the information you need. All the best of luck to you.

I'm not sure how it works the other way around but I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease while in, post deployment, and after a radioactive ablation I am looking at going hypothyroid. It won't interrupt my continued service, nor my ability to reenlist. I guess it depends on how severe your hypothyroid is, if you can maintain weight while off of synthroid ect. You should consult your doctor. If your post ablation like me though, and you depend on a synthroid a day to keep the reaper away, the chances are incredibly slim as I believe they are right that you can't join with mandatory medication. We had one drop on the first week because he needed a daily pill and somehow slipped through the cracks and thought it would be provided for him at bootcamp. It was a bad call. In summary, discuss it with your doctor, get a professional opinion (preferably in writing) and then if possible, come back to your recruiter with a plan.
    Unless you were diagnosed before you went to boot camp your situation is completely different.

But to the OP i do believe your recruiter is correct, they do not want you on medications simply to cover their butts.

I don't believe there are any waivers for you while on that medication, OP.

Thread Information