The Dreaded Moral Waiver of 2014
Create Post

The Dreaded Moral Waiver of 2014

Alright so let me go ahead and explain my situation.

In 2011 I graduated high school, and right smack out of high school I was caught red handed with a smoking device and a small bag of 'Spice', 'K2', 'Incense' or whatever you want to call it. At the time it was legal in my state and I had purchased both over the counter at a local gas station..

To speed things up for you guys here, I was found guilty of drug paraphernalia, and was not charged with possession of 'Spice' or anything like that.. I paid my fines off and completed court supervision. Since this incident I have not been issued a ticket for even the slightest infractions. (Hell, I haven't even pulled over!)

About a month or so ago I went in to my local recruiters office about an hour or so away, and began my recruiting process. Recently I took my IST with a large group of poolee's and did exceptionally well. I blew the standards out of the water, trying to make myself stand out to my recruiter and of course the Gunnery Sgt.

Not long after I was called into the office to have pictures taken of a tattoo that could potentially need a waiver. It is located on my chest and barely shows in an open collar, just a very very small black dot pretty much. If you are wondering it is a Sun from the 90s music group Sublime.

My recruiter was confident that the tattoo wouldn't be a problem and reassured me multiple times that this whole Spice deal was no big deal whatsoever. Well today was the day I was supposed to go to MEPS for my physical, I had already taken the ASVAB the previous year and did well on it (85).

I got a call yesterday saying that I would not be going to MEPS due to the mistake I had made as an ignorant young man 3 years ago, the OSO had denied my request for the waiver. My recruiter is great, he has helped me and kept me in the loop every step of the way, truly he has. Today I went to get all my paperwork from him as I intend on not giving up and pursuing this dream I have had to enlist and be a part of Mother America's dream team. My recruiter is going to MEPS (in St. Louis) for some training he told me, and that he will try to talk with the OSO and see if he can't get the green light to push me through...

Phew, sorry for the essay but here is my question..
    If say, the OSO for whatever reason still denies it up and down, no way no how, do you think I still stand a chance maybe, if I speak with another recruiter who goes through another MEPS center? My thinking behind this would be that maybe there is a slightly more lenient OSO who will approve... I plan on talking to every recruiter this side of the Mississippi if it comes down to it.

Thank you all for your service and thank you for taking the time to read the ramblings of a young dumb 20-something.

Similar Threads:

I am not sure what all the hub-bub is over this, I have seen worse get wavers through, so all I can say is keep after your recruiter it will show you truly want it..
    it kind of sounds to me like the OSO is being a bit of a hard nose for some reason..

I intend to thank you, irpat54!

I got a Moral Waiver for 5, yep that's right 5 underage drinking arrests. It varies so much by situation it's hard to really say. That's why I couldn't (when I was freaking out searching the internet 3 years ago) and you probably can't find a definitive answer on your situation. There are a lot of variables, case by case, and person by person issues here. I will say that my Moral Waiver never got denied. As it was explained to me, that's the brick wall. I hope your recruiter can push it through for you. Let us know how it turns out.

I will, Thursday and Friday are the days he is going to be down there and I plan on txting him tomorrow to put it in his mind so as not to forget and what not.. Fingers crossed this isn't my brick wall so to speak.

As an update to my situation, my recruiter never texted me back or called me in regards to him trying to get a green light on my waiver... I assume he just ignored my message and was blowing smoke in regards to talking with the big wigs at MEPS.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Going enlisted vs. officer is a huge differance.
    I don't see a waiver for you smoking spice in your future.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I assume he just ignored my message and was blowing smoke in regards to talking with the big wigs at MEPS.
    Is that an oxymoron to your waiver.....I know that this is the technological age of computers/email...texting...tweeting and social media sites.....however reading various posts from other potential wannabees.....they always say that they texted the recruiter but he/she never replied back......I don't know if you'll get a waiver or not....only the recruiter and OIC knows that...but I would forget the texting and walk or ride to his office and do a face to face sit down with ALL your rebuttal paperwork.....I would think that this shows initiative.....a leadership skill/trait. Grade school kids can text.....so that doesn't take much thought.....maybe you can have an audience with the OIC and see who is blowing smoke.

No pun intended, lol
    To clear things up I forgot to mention that I am actually trying to go enlisted, not officer.

OSO isnt who your recruiter is speaking to an OSO is an Officer Selection Officer. Also I am assuming your recruiter also has other candidates he needs to deal with and other people to take to MEPS and stuff you arent his only poolee let him do his work. If you want him to do work for you dont badger him let the system do its work.

Dont start bugging him till at least a week or two has gone by this enlisting process isnt exactly quick especially if you need waivers for stuff.

Hey, I am just relaying back to you guys what he told me, he told me the OSO had denied me. I made sure to ask him who or where in the chain of command, was denying my waiver just for my own personal understanding.

I am also not badgering him, I'm letting him do whatever it is he needs to. I have not spoke with him since last Thursday with my last text message being sent to him on the following Friday. I intend to wait for him to contact me with any further information.
    There is a fine line between being persistent and showing you want this, and being annoying and a pain to deal with, a very fine line!

Then stop texting him, my recruiter was terrible at texting back. Go in there and see him or call him it is easy to forget to text someone or there are times text messages dont go through.

Thread Information