How likely is a career in combat support?
Create Post

How likely is a career in combat support?

Hi all. I spoke to a recruiter recently and did a medical prescreen, and am just waiting on a copy of my HS diploma and my birth certificate to come in so I can schedule an appointment for meps. All the recruiter has told me about job selection so far is that I will pick three different occupational fields and the corps' will place me in one of them as their needs dictate at the time.

Anyway, I'm pretty interested in joining the infantry but I hear slots always open up pretty fast and your career advancement ends up stopping after 4 years since they're overmanned usually, so I got to thinking about doing either field artillery or armor.

How likely can I make a career out of those two fields? Do they tend to terminate after four years due to being overmanned? or is there more of a need for combat support? Hardly anyone ever seems to talk about them from what I can find.

If I end up with artillery, what are the chances I'll end up sitting down somewhere being a radar operator or fire direction control person? From what I understand, I can't actually pick my MOS within the marines and well, my line scores are in the range of 130-140. Highest was 137, lowest was a 129, i forget which fields exactly.

Also, any advice, in general, as to how one should go about making the Marine Corps' a career and not just a 4 year or 8 year enlistment option? I am aware of the up-or-out system that the corps' uses for enlisted personnel.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Making a career out of any field is solely and strictly up to you and how you perform....plain and simple. If you want something from the Corps, you have to want it and put in the work to go out and get it.

MOS and retention rates in that MOS shouldn't matter. If you're a squared away Marine there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to re-enlist, if not with your original MOS then lat-move into another.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Making a career out of any field is solely and strictly up to you and how you perform....plain and simple. If you want something from the Corps, you have to want it and put in the work to go out and get it.

MOS and retention rates in that MOS shouldn't matter. If you're a squared away Marine there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to re-enlist, if not with your original MOS then lat-move into another.
    Pretty much what i was going to say.

Be competitive and you will be able to re-enlist. also depending that your body can hold up. Know quite a number of 03's that are broken by the end of their first enlistment either physically or mentally. it isnt the life for everyone.

I know an 03 that picked up SSgt on his 5th year. That is E-6 or 5 promotions in 5 years. I was intelligence and most of the Marines that were in my class and the class before me EASd as LCpl or E3. I would suggest that you do the job that you want to do. There are several opportunities for an 03 after your first term.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Artillery

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Artillery
    What a great idea!
    That worked for me and got to chop out with the grunts. (M30-4.2 mortars).
    What could be better.

Back to topic....

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    I know an 03 that picked up SSgt on his 5th year. That is E-6 or 5 promotions in 5 years. I was intelligence and most of the Marines that were in my class and the class before me EASd as LCpl or E3. I would suggest that you do the job that you want to do. There are several opportunities for an 03 after your first term.
    this isn't the case anymore, not since about 2006 or so when are recruitment rates went through the roof.

Any 03xx is lucky to get E-4/Cpl. in a 4-year enlistment now(except Recon). Cutting scores for infantry MOS' have been extremely high(again, except for Recon) for the last 6-7 years.

this isn't the case anymore, not since about 2006 or so when are recruitment rates went through the roof.

Any 03xx is lucky to get E-4/Cpl. in a 4-year enlistment now(except Recon). Cutting scores for infantry MOS' have been extremely high(again, except for Recon) for the last 6-7 years.
    Not always the case but i know another SSgt who picked up very fast as an 03 not common but i guess thats how one does just that. Be uncommon in a good way and it will show.

This guy was in GSP. Not sure how long he spent in an actual line unit but he was with our HQ Co for a while. He def made all of his promotions meritoriously.

Thread Information