Need opinions my dream of becoming a Marine
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Need opinions my dream of becoming a Marine

So I've always had a dream of becoming a Marine. So I'm definitely going to follow that dream. I just don't know when I should do it. I'm in college now as a freshman. My parents are telling me to wait till I graduate but I want to do it as early as I can. I'm thinking about taking a semester off and doing my training during the summer and that off semester. I would enlist as reservist so I continue working on my degree. Would that work out okay? Second option: Should I try to enter into the PLC program and do the required training each summer of college until I earn my degree so I can become a Marine Officer? Any opinions will help. Thank you so much Marines.

Similar Threads:

I think most people are going to come in and tell you to wait until you graduate. Not me. Heres the thing. You can join right now and start your military career. You will always have time to finish school. The one thing you cant get back is time. You should consider the options of going enlisted Vs. officer. Some jobs are only available to officer and others to enlisted. They are two completely different career paths. Good luck on whatever you choose and the first thing is to go and see a recruiter.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    I think most people are going to come in and tell you to wait until you graduate. Not me. Heres the thing. You can join right now and start your military career. You will always have time to finish school. The one thing you cant get back is time. You should consider the options of going enlisted Vs. officer. Some jobs are only available to officer and others to enlisted. They are two completely different career paths. Good luck on whatever you choose and the first thing is to go and see a recruiter.
    Thank you for your advice, Sir. Everyone I talk to says "wait till you graduate and heres why..." I never get anyone to tell me to do it now and I get no advice on why I should do it now.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Stay in school!!

Get in touch with an OSO(officer selection office) in your area and get stuff rolling on a PLC package. Enlisting in the reserves will not satisfy your dream of wanting to be a Marine, it will also set you back in school at least a year.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Stay in school!!

Get in touch with an OSO(officer selection office) in your area and get stuff rolling on a PLC package. Enlisting in the reserves will not satisfy your dream of wanting to be a Marine, it will also set you back in school at least a year.
    I will look into that. I just want to be involved with the Marines as early as possible. So maybe the PLC program may get things rolling.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    PLC sounds good. Very few will advise you to drop out of school.
    There are countless threads about this in Ask A Marine, basically saying stay in school, the Corps will be there when you're ready to try to join.

Take a look at those threads when you have a chance. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    PLC sounds good. Very few will advise you to drop out of school.
    There are countless threads about this in Ask A Marine, basically saying stay in school, the Corps will be there when you're ready to try to join.

Take a look at those threads when you have a chance. Good luck.
    I don't plan on dropping out of school, but if I were to enlist, I'd enlist as a reservist so I can continue my college path while being a Marine. I would just take my first semester off my sophomore year so I can complete my training during the summer and that semester off. Would that be a bad idea?

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Josephd is a reservist, and he posted already. Take his advice, he knows this area well. Reserves as opposed to active.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    That PLC is a good thing, though. Talk to an OSO (Officer Selection Office) about that.

This is my advice you want to do PLC do it. It will be a lot of work assuming you get accepted in the first place.. ( some how i am in a motivating mood this evening so roll with me it doesnt happen often) If you think it is something you want and something you have the desire and determination to do then go do it.

Coming in here and asking people you have no idea who they are if you should do something really sounds silly when you think about it. You have no idea who anyone is on this forums and you are asking them to help you make a huge decision in your life.

Sure if you do nothing then there is no loss really and you are out nothing but if you decide to do something your life will travel in a totally different direction than initially intended.

Best choice talk to an oso get your information and do your research weigh both options dont go into it blind and ask specific questions do ask vague questions know what you want and go for it and take it. If you want to be a Marine especially an officer a leader of Marines you are going to have to know what you want and have some idea of how you would like to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by RJMartin6 View Post
    I don't plan on dropping out of school, but if I were to enlist, I'd enlist as a reservist so I can continue my college path while being a Marine. I would just take my first semester off my sophomore year so I can complete my training during the summer and that semester off. Would that be a bad idea?
    Also to caveat off of what i said in the previous post you have to pass PLC and then go to OCS I believe. dont quote me on that an OSO would probably be the best person to tell you. So you wouldnt be a Marine until you went to OCS and even then you dont hit the fleet till after TBS.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    No one knows anyone when they come in here asking questions. They get the advice they seek, they make of it what they will, and hopefully check into it more. But as for knowing people here, ain't never happened, and this section is still open for business. People ask virtual strangers for advice all the time. It's just one factor they weigh when making their own decisions.

I guess what i was referring to is, when i read the question i read it as a what should i do question. I didnt read it as an i need information about this course of action that i am thinking of undertaking so i can make a better decision.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    ahhhhh, I see what you meant. Sorry.

Yes, I've gotten that impression sometimes, too, like they're asking us what TO do rather than advice on various things that they will figure out.

We ain't no genies around here Just a buncha former Marines willing and ready to render his/her Life experience in one big glob of chewed bubble gum. Meaning: take our advice with a grain of salt, and NEVER trust anyone who sez, "Trust me..."

Thread Information