Open Contract
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Contract

Open Contract

Greetings,
    This poolee leaves for boot in less than 24 days, and is signed under an open contract. This poolee's medical expires Oct. 6th so this is the only way that this poolee could ship to avoid another full MEPS medical screening. This poolee has an ASVAB of 51, is also Color Blind so no MOS's are available that the poolee qualifies for. How possible is it for a potential recruit to later Lat-Move to another MOS? Is it also possible to further the recruit's chances of aquiring an MOS other than cook while at boot? E.g. If a recruit does exceptionally well at the rifle range. Any candid response or additional information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Similar Threads:

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    This is your 2nd same thread on the forum. Only 1 thread allowed. No duplicates.

You don't have to speak in the 3rd person here either.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Now to get back to your question. Who said you can only be a cook if your color blind ?

Service in the Marines
    • Colorblind people can serve in the Marines, however they may not serve in some Military Occupational Specialties. Typically, flight duty and careers in electronics are not available to the colorblind.

I apologize for not being clear in my post. With such a short window of time to ship out to MCRD, the available jobs for the month of September all require normal color vision with no waivers; and then my question. I'm not too concerned with being an open contract because I know that if I graduate I'll still be a Marine and that's what counts most. I was just curious however the possibilities of other MOS' via performance at boot, and or opportunities years later, assuming that I will fulfill more than 4, 8 and going on 20 years.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    ""I know that if I graduate I'll still be a Marine and that's what counts most""

Do you know that you are one out of a hundred who would say that? This restores my faith in the youth of today. Seriously.

Thank you sir, I wish I'd believed that when I was a teen.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, we've all been there. Leaving the teen years is like waking up from a deep (and very restful) sleep. LOL.

Furthermore in regards to the question; Will performance at boot camp help determine specific MOS' ?

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, ( not physical performance ) but you will take many apptitude tests in Boot Camp. Do well and you will possibly get an MOS that you will love.

Marine First, great answer

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Kind of surprising----but so much has changed over the years.
    Unless you mean the Classification Tests we took.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    You can be a Grunt and be color blind. I am color blind. If being a Marine is what counts most.....what better MOS than Infantry!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You can be a Grunt and be color blind. I am color blind. If being a Marine is what counts most.....what better MOS than Infantry!!
    A Grunt only needs to see two colors...Red= Enemies Blood......Green= Paycheck $

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you're not overly concerned about what MOS you end up with then I would advise you to not worry about it at all. You may end up with something really cool...who knows?

If you do end up with something less high speed like food service or supply admin, excel at it as well as PFT, CFT, Rifle qual, PME, etc....there is literally hundred of opportunities to do other things within the Corps once you have a been in for a few years and pick up some rank. Don't get tunnel vision on your specific MOS especially once you've been in the fleet for a year or two. Talk with your career planner at the unit you go to and see what is available for other duties/assignments.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Excellent advice as always. Joe is one of those Marines who takes time to help out in this section, more than most others, and the advice is good. If he doesn't know, he says so, if he knows, he imparts good info.

Thread Information