Chances of juvenile felony getting a waiver?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chances of juvenile felony getting a waiver?

So back when I was about 13(I'm 18 now) and still in 8th grade, sometime along the morning when I was still in school, I went into the bathroom, wasting time as dumb kids in school do. I had my friend's lighter on me as I was going to give it back to him that day as he left it at my house the previous day(I had no intention of using it, nor was I a smoker.) Well, another friend of mine also in the bathroom with me at the time saw me fidgeting around with it and made the overly intelligence idea to suggest and give me a piece of paper to light. Me being the genius that I was decided "sure!"

I lit the paper, left it on fire for maybe a second or two and kicked it out. Shortly after, the security guard came in there and saw the remains of a burnt piece of notebook paper and we all had to empty out our pockets, at which time they found the lighter on me and I was boned. Fast forward a little bit and I plead guilty to reckless burning (class D felony in my state, lowest class) to which I was told that at 18, it'd be gone or something along those lines(which as everyone here probably knows, isn't the case when it comes to any government job). I got 6 months of probation and some hours of community service, which I completed without a hitch. It was a stupid decision, no doubt about it, but I've never been involved in any sort of issues with the law afterwards, finished middle and high school accordingly and so on.

I know that currently the military is downsizing across all branches and we're not in any immediate conflicts. A problem like this wouldn't even be an issue in 2006 or 7, I'd bet. Now, I'm not so sure. Any opinions? what are the chances of a moral waiver?

TL;DR

1: Convicted of reckless burning(Class D, lowest class felony in my state) as a juvenile back when I was 13 for lighting a piece of paper on fire in my school bathroom. No damage, no one hurt.

2:No issues with the law afterwards.

Chances of a moral waiver?

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    go talk with a recruiter

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    go talk with a recruiter
    I would just like some opinions and perhaps recollections from others with previous encounters/circumstances.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a situation like you here or at least I don't think they would admit it on an " Open Forum ".

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    When I was a Private..I burned down a shiathouse with JP5 and a heat tab. Got NJP..so I can't help you but I would do as suggested...go see a recruiter.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    The OP posted this on 6-28-14 under the thread title MEPS FINGERPRINTS. Described the fire incident etc etc--we already went over this, I thought it sounded familiar.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Actually, this thread is a little different. The first one was about MEPS and fingerprints and disclosing info, while this deals w felony waiver, so I stand corrected even though some of the material is the same in both threads.

Talk to a recruiter---is the only answer any of us can give you.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    The OP posted this on 6-28-14 under the thread title MEPS FINGERPRINTS. Described the fire incident etc etc--we already went over this, I thought it sounded familiar.
    Indeed although this is a bit of a different question. Still, if this is considered spam, I'll delete it if necessary.

Just saw your second post. I'll see what happens. And I'm still going to most likely follow through with your previous advice. Just wanted to get some type of opinions.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    Nope, my mistake.....all is well. I just have to learn how to read.

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    When I was a Private..I burned down a shiathouse with JP5 and a heat tab. Got NJP..so I can't help you but I would do as suggested...go see a recruiter.
    AWESOME PB.... Any pictures...???

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Hahahahahaha !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find anyone with a situation like you here or at least I don't think they would admit it on an " Open Forum ".

You mean a situation where someone was admitted entry into the Marine Corps with a low class felony? Or that no one would admit to it due to embarrassment? Sir, I regret what I did, it was obviously a conscious decision so it wasn't a mistake. Just a bad decision and a momentary lapse in judgement. But there have been people admitted into the Corps with more than what I have. Different circumstances in other people's situations, and the standards now are different from a few years ago, but would I get turned away in my situation? Would the powers that be really look at my profile and think that I'm a risk/hazard to the Marine Corps? Again, just looking for opinions. I know that all cases are different and no answer is a definite but just looking for thoughts and input is all.

Thank you to all who have served.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    THE number one problem is downsizing/selectivity-----because of that, the Corps (and any private corporation etc) can be and is so selective it's incredible....simply because they CAN be--it's a luxury they can afford.
    It's like if you ran a company, you had 20 job openings, you have 300 applicants.

So you sit at your desk and take a look. It's human nature to not pay much attention to anyone with issues of any kind, big or small.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    I agree with you. In your thread you asked for input from anyone who went thru the same circumstance. Quote, "I would just like some opinions and perhaps recollections from others with previous encounters/circumstances."

It was confusing so I thought you meant about the fire situation after reading your post 3 times.

Best of luck to you and I'll let others chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2571 View Post
    THE number one problem is downsizing/selectivity-----because of that, the Corps (and any private corporation etc) can be and is so selective it's incredible....simply because they CAN be--it's a luxury they can afford.
    It's like if you ran a company, you had 20 job openings, you have 300 applicants.

So you sit at your desk and take a look. It's human nature to not pay much attention to anyone with issues of any kind, big or small.

Indeed. Can't tell you how many times I've seen that simile and it's very relevant. Of course if the next big war happened (knock on wood) then that would most likely change, but nothing major going on currently. If I was my age now back in 07 or something along those lines, probably wouldn't be an issue.

I guess it'd depend on the recruiting stations and their quotas? Not sure and I won't try to assume that I know. I know that depending on the severity of the case, the request for a waiver gets sent higher up in the chain of command. I've heard that at some point if the request gets up to a certain level, it pretty much just gets discarded.

Thread Information