Good Cookie and SMCR
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Good Cookie and SMCR

Any Marines ever went from Active to Reserve and rated both medals? I'm not sure how it works. For example if I had 3 years reserve and got my SMCR would I also get a Good Conduct medal after 3 years of active service?

Similar Threads:

If you were active for at least three years as enlisted with no NJP's you rate a good cookie reward. If you then were to transition into the reserves after your active duty and get by with zero problems I would imagine you would rate a SMCR.

I am assuming SMCR is the equivalent of a good cookie except its for the reserves. So I'm pretty sure its possible.

Also I don't think officers rate a good cookie reward. Its only for enlisted seeing as enlisted are the one's usually getting NJP'd. So if you were enlisted in the reserves then got commissioned as an active duty officer you most likely wont be getting a good cookie regardless how long your active.

I have seen a few with both on their stack and wasn't sure of the proper procedure for Marines who had earned both (while enlisted ).

Yes, it is completely possible. Current serve in the SMCR and many prior AD guys in my unit rate the GC and SMCR Medals. All of them are enlisted of course.

BGW hit the nail on the head. All of that is correct and valid.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you were actual AD, yes you would rate a GCM. If you were a reservist on active duty orders, No you would not.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Do you have to call it a " Good Cookie Award " ? Really ?

Well, in that case, I never got a GOOD COOKIE AWARD. It's almost like getting PERFECT ATTENDENCE in school. Who cares really? That in a job interview will be laughed upon. It's all about the Honorable.

Oh, I remember this crap. I think reservist after a certain time for only doing 3 years in the selected reserves can rate a SMCR. But this was not retroactive. In my years, you needed to do 6 years straight for the Selected Reserves Medal. I think its after like 1995 or something. Enough to pist me off. WTF over?

Kind of a catch 22. If my contract in the Marines was 3 active reserve, and 3 inactive, that ruled me out. Needed what? 4 years for this medal, therefore, needed a different contract. Interesting how it isn't retroactive.

Eligibility Requirements. Awarded to members of the Selected Marine Corps Reserve (SMCR) who, effective 1 January 1996, fulfilled designated service requirements within any three-year period of service in the Organized Marine Corps Reserve. For the period 1 July 1925 through 31 December 1995, inclusive, a four-year period of service is required. The following are specific requirements of eligibility for this medal

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Don't know how you got a 3x3 contract in the reserves. For your time period they were only 4x2 ???

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Don't know how you got a 3x3 contract in the reserves. For your time period they were only 4x2 ???
    You're wrong.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    In 1982 you enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserves on a 3x3 contract ?

I've been wrong before. Ask my Ex-Wife.

Started with 8th Tanks Cco in Tallahassee Florida, finished up in another unit in Jacksonville, Fl 4th amphibs Asslt Bn. 3x.3 exactly.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Yup. You don't rate the " Good Conduct Medal " then.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Yup. You don't rate the " Good Conduct Medal " then.
    I really don't care now going on some 26 years since my discharge. I never got asked about medals in job interviews.

Thread Information