2 Years green card.
Create Post

2 Years green card.

Hello Marines. it's been my dream for the better part of the last few years to become a United States Marine, but I wasn't eligible because I wasn't a resident of the US. I just got married(to a former Marine) and sent in all my paperwork to get my paperwork all sorted out. I'm awaiting the interview and from what I already know once I leave the interview I'll have a status of 'conditional permanent resident'. This green card is valid for two years. what I need to know is if the USMC will allow me to enlist with this green card... I spent yesterday looking for an answer and got VERY mixed answers also only one topic on the Leather Neck website.. and it was answered very vaguely. Now from what I see in the requirements to enlist it only says Legal residency. Which the green card would grant me. I called two recruiting offices and they both gave me mixed answers as well. One said no and the other one said maybe and then they said yes. I was just wondering if any Marine was a little more informed in the matter or if I just need to wait until I have my papers in hand and head over to a recruiting office. Thanks for your help Marines.

Similar Threads:

I have no idea but you probably should talk more to the one recruiter that said maybe/yes. Sounds like he's gonna be your best bet in this process.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Enlistment into the U.S. Marine Corps, or any branch of the U.S. military, by citizens of countries other than the United States is limited to those foreign nationals who are legally residing in the United States and possess an Immigration and Naturalization Service Alien Registration Card (INS Form I-151/551 — commonly known as a "Green Card"). Applicants must be between 17 and 35; meet the mental, moral, and physical standards for enlistment; and must speak, read and write English fluently.

Note: The U.S. military branches cannot assist foreign nationals in obtaining admittance into the United States. Questions concerning immigration to the United States should be asked of the U.S. Embassy. Only after immigration procedures are completed and an applicant is legally residing in the United States may an application for enlistment be accepted.

Furthermore, in order to be commissioned an officer in the U.S. Navy, one must be a native-born or naturalized United States citizen.

The U.S. government agency which is responsible for immigration and naturalization is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Their web site is at http://uscis.gov/graphics/index.htm

I am a recruiter. To answer your question, you can enlist with a 2 year green card. You must ship prior to it expiring, which shouldnt be a problem. However you will be a waiver because you are married but it isnt that big of a deal, just extra paperwork. You cant start the process until you have the actual green card though.

Quote Originally Posted by Huklebuk View Post
    I am a recruiter. To answer your question, you can enlist with a 2 year green card. You must ship prior to it expiring, which shouldnt be a problem. However you will be a waiver because you are married but it isnt that big of a deal, just extra paperwork. You cant start the process until you have the actual green card though.
    Yes, thank you very very much... I was going crazy trying to find out who was right and who was wrong... you life a weight off my shoulders... I been running a lot and weight training and doing the dead hang pull ups... I've glances at some asvab practice tests but need to study in depth... Thank you Marine... very much.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck to you.

Thread Information