maybe you can help me MARINES
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I have a heart transplant I am 14 years old run 1-2 miles three days every week and can do 9 pull ups and I'm cleared for wrestling and football

And your question?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I have a heart transplant I am 14 years old run 1-2 miles three days every week and can do 9 pull ups and I'm cleared for wrestling and football
    I can't help you....my hearts old and I no longer do those activities....however if you are asking about whether or not you can join you will have to wait until you are 17 and ask a recruiter. The onsite recruiter may give you some guidance....but forget about the health issues for right now...your age is a factor.....and then TRY to pursue your goal.... Good luck!

also, are you on blood thinners and other anti clotting drugs? if so, and you probably are, that, I believe will disqualify you,, I may be wrong but I don't think so.. sorry if I just squashed your dreams

best of luck to you..

Pretty sure this will be dq'd, but I'm not 100% sure. When you turn 17 talk to a recruiter and find out.

I am asking can I join I know there is a chance I'd get dq'd that's why I asked

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Huklebuk is an Active Duty Recruiter on this forum.

He just told you that he is not 100% sure if it will dq'd or not so you'll have to wait until you are 17 to even speak to a recruiter.

Best of luck and health to you.

Thank you that's awesome

After 4 months of anti rejection treatment and 7 months of being weaned off of anti rejection medication I am completely free of dependent on any medication anymore so i think that might improve my chances of a waiver

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's great news !!!

How old are you now, 15 or 16 ?

15 I got two more years till I can talk to a recruiter

I also read about a DI who had a heart transplant and was able to return to active duty in two weeks after his transplant and a army recruiter who was able to return to active duty in six months after his transplant

Don't believe everything you read. I worked with organ transplants at a teaching hospital. New organs do not accept the new body that quickly and it takes longer than that just for the incision to heal (as long as there are no complications which is common with transplant surgery).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Don't believe everything you read. I worked with organ transplants at a teaching hospital. New organs do not accept the new body that quickly and it takes longer than that just for the incision to heal (as long as there are no complications which is common with transplant surgery).
    I re read the one about the DI and it said that it took him 9 months to return to active duty I read the article wrong cause it says that he had more energy after 2 weeks but my question still is if there is even a tiny minute chance of me getting a waiver for my transplant

No way of knowing till you're old enough to talk to a recruiter. The waiver process today may be completely different 2 more years from now. Example is waivers for tattoos. The new tattoo policy will be out any day. Tattoos needing a waiver today may not even need one after the new policy takes effect. Point is, waivers continuously change (depending on the needs of the Marine Corps) and can change multiple times between now and the time you're 17.

Nobody here can answer that question for you.

Thread Information