JROTC. Should I tell?
Create Post

JROTC. Should I tell?

Im a new Poolee but I have Marine Corps JROTC experience. Someone told me that if you tell the DI's that you have had JROTC then they will make you a target and make your life even worse than the ones who dont. So my question is, should i voluntarily tell the DI's that i have JROTC experience?

Similar Threads:

If it can benefit you, why not? It's not like the DIs are seriously going to kill you. Even if it won't benefit you largely, you should use it to step out of your comfort zone a little and volunteer for a billet. Who knows, maybe you'll enjoy the challenge of stepping up to be guide or squad leader because your JROTC experience initially highlights you for the role. You should enjoy the discomfort, anyway.

You're joking, right LT? I wouldn't say jack about it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If your DI's are like every other salty vet NCO/SNCO, not only will they not care about your JROTC experience but they will also make sure you are uncomfortable as possible while you are aboard the recruit depot. Yes they may put you in a leadership billet but it won't be fun and in the grand scheme of things the billet you hold in boot camp means nothing to the Corps

first, back when I went through boot, the recruiters put on the information pack if you were ROTC OR JROTC so they had the information anyway, but one person in our Platoon was ROTC and the information for some reason didn't get to the DI's right away and when they found out towards the end of boot camp for some reason or another they were plenty ****ed at him for not saying a thing about it,,
    take it for what it is worth,, you might want to talk to your recruiter about it..

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Step up and tell them. It's not like your going to get stomped on everyday and even if you do, bid deal, you are not going to die...

Last edited by Rocky C; 04-24-14 at 04:19 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    I think I should clarify my post...

Your DI's will already know that you were JROTC, Boy Scout, whatever etc....Just don't be the one to make it widely known to your platoon that you are/were JROTC. Be humble about it because your DI's will destroy you if, for any reason, think you're better than the other recruits.

Thank you, sirs, I will take your advice to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ameriken View Post
    You're joking, right LT? I wouldn't say jack about it.
    Completely serious. At least someone agreed with me, that you wouldn't die if you did. But hey, so much for pushing yourself and going the extra mile. I guess I should say don't be a douche about it, but if they ask if anyone has any JROTC/ROTC/CAP/BSA experience at the beginning... this guy better answer. It won't kill him. Did I have experience in one of the aforementioned programs? Yep. When asked to highlight ourselves, did I? You bet. Did it help me? I'm where I want to be... so...

Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    Completely serious. At least someone agreed with me, that you wouldn't die if you did. But hey, so much for pushing yourself and going the extra mile.
    I can't argue with that,, Sir,, as they say no guts no glory,, nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Quote Originally Posted by djj34 View Post
    Completely serious. At least someone agreed with me, that you wouldn't die if you did. But hey, so much for pushing yourself and going the extra mile. I guess I should say don't be a douche about it, but if they ask if anyone has any JROTC/ROTC/CAP/BSA experience at the beginning... this guy better answer. It won't kill him. Did I have experience in one of the aforementioned programs? Yep. When asked to highlight ourselves, did I? You bet. Did it help me? I'm where I want to be... so...
    If they ask, for sure he's gotta tell them. But the original question was 'voluntarily tell', and I doubt I would walk up to a DI and just tell him. The whole idea of Boot Camp is to tear you down to nothing and then build you back up into a Marine. If it comes across as boasting, I'm thinking the DI's are going to have a lot of fun with that at his expense because there will be more to tear down.

OTOH, any skills picked up in JROTC are better proven 'by going the extra mile' in actions rather than words by demonstrating excellence and high motivation in all areas of BC from PT to rifle range to obstacle course to dress, etc.

If asked, for sure you're gotta tell them, but I sure as hell wouldn't walk up to a DI and just say 'hey I'm JROTC'.

Anything you say can and will be used against you. At least it was when I went to Boot.

Thank you very much, sir.

They will already know. I know a few DI's down at PI right now so I will shoot an email down to them and see what their opinion is.

We had a guy in our platoon who went thru Navy JROTC who was a complete fvck up. It's about how you apply yourself, not where you came from. Anything you've learned somewhere else no longer applies to the Corps. They (other branches) teach what they want you to know, and we teach what we want you to know. Don't confuse the two, just listen to your Drill Instructors and do what they tell you to do, it's as simple as that. Just remember, you're joining the Marine Corps, not them.

Thread Information