Reserve to Active Duty?
Create Post

Reserve to Active Duty?

A Marine recruiter that I talked to a year ago called me earlier today to discuss with me if I'm still interested in becoming a Marine and I told him I'm want to become an officer. He was telling me since I'm in college already I can enlist in the reserve and continue my schooling and I can also earn college credits. If I go this route will I be able to switch to active duty once I become an officer?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rocky C; 04-22-14 at 03:27 PM.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    when you commission as an officer your current contract as a reservist would be voided, so to answer your question...yes....but it's a bit more complicated than that being that you are not just simply "switching" to active duty.

That said though, if becoming an officer is your ultimate goal and you are already in school don't bother with enlisting in the reserves. In no way does being a enlisted reservist Marine help you with your chances of becoming an officer. In fact, in my opinion, I would say it sets you back because of the commitment you need to make interrupts school.

Tell that recruiter to kick rocks and get in touch with an OSO(officer selection office) in your area.

I enlisted in the reserve prior to going to OCS and going active duty. I'm glad I did it because I got the bootcamp experience, worked in an enlisted MOS, and got a bit more cred when I was a LT. Completing school and applying to OCS is also a solid plan but you should expect a delay before shipping out. From what I hear, it is extremely difficult to get accepted now.

Since I'm on the topic of becoming an officer I want to make my GPA competitive (3.80+) by the time I apply, but I'm wondering will the OSO look at individual grades even though I might have a competitive GPA by that time hopefully?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    not from my experience no, my OSO barely even looked at my GPA. This was in 2006 though, competition wasn't as tough back then so...

Thread Information