Click image for larger version

Name:	Okinawa Pink Panther_1964 Toyopet_150dpi.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	27245Pictured here is a photoshopped picture of a 1964 Toyopet automobile. I rendered it to look like the car I owned and drove during my time on "The Rock". It was painted a bright pink and had a drawing of the Pink Panther charachter on the hood. I also photoshopped the license plate to resemble the tag that was mine. Quite often, It could be spotted in downtown Koza, Ishakawa or Kawasaki. I also recall that people would point and make comments whenever I drove by. I could also be seen by the side of the road trying to unjam the linkage so that I could shift the "Beast" into second gear. The roof on the real Pink Panther was a vinyl cover that was buttoned down with snaps. As I recall, It was the property of many of the Marines who were stationed at Camp McTureous, myself included, being the last owner. I'm sorry to report that I had to junk it before I rotated back to CONUS because the new SOFA agreements that were signed in 1972.

If any of you remember seeing the Panther during your tour on Oki, kindly record your memories here.
Thanks and Semper Fi
Ken