Jury Summons Humm, how would you respond?

View Poll Results: If called to serve on a Jury, would you?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Report as directed

30 81.08%
  • Try to get out of it

3 8.11%
  • Ask for a postponement

0 0%
  • Not a Citizen

0 0%
  • I am a peace officer

1 2.70%
  • Health Excuse

3 8.11%
  • Have been convicted of a felony

0 0%
  • Ignore the Summons

0 0%
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jury Summons Humm, how would you respond?

I got a Jury Summons in the mail the other day.

IMPORTANT!
    JURY SUMMONS ENCLOSED - FAILURE TO RESPOND MAY SUBJECT YOU TO A PENALTY

That is what was written on the outside of the envelope.

Now, I have never served on a jury; don't know if I really care to. I mean, the guy is guilty, otherwise the officer would have never arrested him in the first place, was how I have always looked at things.

But, in today's world, things are different. Of course, I would give the individual the benefit of the doubt; then, if he looks guilty he's guilty. LOL

I've been summoned many times before but have never served. Maybe its because of my police background that I am usually dismissed right away.

If I did get to serve, I would want to ask questions and depending on how they handle the case, I probably would get irritated at the district attorney as well as the defense lawyer, and maybe even the judge. LOL

How about you, how many of you have served, bailed out of it with an excuse or just never showed up?

Just wondering

Semper Fi

Cook

If one wants to continue to enjoy the privileges of citizenship, he needs to undertake the responsibilities that go with it. Jury service is one of those.
    I've never been called to serve. My wife has been called (and served) at last four times.

Cool GOT OUT OF IT............LOL

Some years ago I got a Summons in the mail to report for jury duty............Filled it out and stated that I had been found guilty at a Military Court,,,,,,,,,,,Never heard from the courts again........ Always felt they are guilty, why else would they be on trial........

Report for jury duty and state how you feel, should get you out of it.............

Sempers,

Roger

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When we lived in New York City, I got called all the time - both the State and Federal Courts, too.

It was an interesting experience - and I would do it again if called.

How did I get out of service? Only one time - got called when I was at 8 1/2 months pregnant. Stood in line for the jury clerk and when I got to the desk he never looked up - just asked why I wanted to be excused.

I said "Look at me and try to guess" - got excused that time and only got called one time after that. I wonder if he flagged my name in some way, lol.

I have been summoned, but never have had to pull jury duty!! I figure most cases would be a bore!!

Been summoned several times. Sat on a DUI Jury, Got chosen for another jury but we got dismissed when the defendant didn't show, don't know if they ever caught him. Got chosen a third time but was excused. The defence attorney didn't think I'd be a good choice for his client. Most times I just sit in the jury pool room. Bring a good thick book.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Cook,Tell them that "Everyday is Saturday" and that the local judicial system is closed on Saturday's. Ain't I a Smart @ss?

Good idea, Sophora

Originally posted by Sophora
    ... Bring a good thick book.
    You think, they will pick me, if I bring MAD Magazine and Playboy with me?

LOL

Ask if it's a hanging offence?
    What lawyer wouldn't want an opinionated Marine on a jury?????

yeah they probably would take you if you had Mad and Playboy. They'd think you were up on current events

Had a friend tell the clerk he had an antisocial personality disorder, he was out in 10 mins.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was summoned on three seperate occasions while on active duty for my home of record. Always excused due to military obligations. Now that I am retired and back at my home of record, they don't seem interested in me. Go figure...

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Got called for County jury duty. Went to the Court House. My number was called at about 11:30 am. Was suppose to return at 13:00.
    Went to lunch at a fast food establishment within the Court House. Picked out my food, chose a table and parked it. Along comes a gentleman and asks if he could share the table with me. Yeah, sure...why not? He looked like he was in a hurry so our conversation(s) were brief. Lunch time ended, headed back to the courtroom. Guess who was the defendant? That's right. My lunch partner! I told the judge that it wouldn't be right for me to be a juror on the same case as the man I just had lunch with. I still had to stay until 17:00 but I was relieved of my juror obligation.

I got a "nasty gram" when i was at 29 Palms going through Comm school back in 1983 that i was in trouble for not regristering for the draft...

Show up or you might wish you had ! I'll take all the Marines I can get on my juries. They know a thing or two about duty, honor, and committment. They know how to follow (the judge's) orders. They see the big Marine Corps emblem on my suit coat, and that tells them who I am.

John D. Mitchell, Jr. Attorney at Law Sgt. USMC 66-69

Registered User Free Member FMFgrunt's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

I might just be Blessed

when I got a summons for Jury Duty; one of the questions was "Do You have any mental conditions" "explain"

I replyed NO and "explained" I've been diagnosed as being Schizophrenic paranoid, obsessive compulsive.

that was 1999 and I ain't heard from them since.

Honesty is the best policy

wtf do they expect from a Trained Killer that loves kids (and women) that went to the most regimented Training in America.

hell I doan want my foot locker scattered all over the Quonset Hut...'obsessive compulsive" my ass. that's "Squared away"

Happy Holidays Marines..

Thread Information