Enlisting at 24 with a Bachelors Degree, Reserves - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Be a grunt, nobody likes MPs

In all seriousness MP vs Infantry I don't see making a major difference in your prospects for becoming a cop. Honestly you're going to do a 6 month civilian police academy anyway, why do the same thing for the military? In fact, my friends who have completed or are in the process of completing police academies (many infantry reservists are cops) said they were harder than Marine Corps boot/soi, and that most of the "training instructors" were former Marines and even former Marine DIs on occasion.

If you are going to do the Marine Corps reserve thing, you may as well do something different than you would otherwise do on the civilian side. Think of it as an excuse to play with mortars, rockets, Mk-19s, etc.

I know in Massachusetts you get preference for being a veteran for the various civil services, I'm not sure just being a service member gives you any leg up on paper, thought it certainly wouldn't hurt in the interview process.

Mike

I have a contact here (Police officer at the Maryland State Police academy). He specifically said that they love having Marines there, regardless of MOS. They prefer that they ARE NOT MP's because they have to relearn a different system of police work and that military and civilian police are different. I'm sure they will still take them but it is for this reason whenever I sit down with someone if they are looking at that route for the future I always bring it up. Talk to the OSO and also contact an enlisted recruiter to see which is the best route for you.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Can we address the OP's question post #12 waivers please ?.

Thank you.

Anything for you, Rocky

I can't give you a definitive answer. My gut is saying it should be ok, but there is alot of gray area in the mental disorder department. It varies based on whatever meps you go through. One meps doctor can look at it one way and another can look at it another way. I would do a follow up with your primary doctor, it could be a bad diagnosis (could also be legit, I dont know how doctors think sometimes). Best I can do for now without getting into details and seeing paperwork.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank you Brant.
    Your the best Brother .

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the info and advice everyone. Much appreciated. I think it's time to reconnect with my recruiter. He was outstanding and willing to work with me before, so I hope he is still there.

Also, during my last contact with my doc (not psychologist) he cleared me 100% from anything psychologically and reflected it as such in my medical record, so hopefully this would hold some weight at MEPS.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Best of luck to you and keep us posted please.

Thread Information