Aviation Maintenance
Create Post

Aviation Maintenance

Good Morning Marines,

The other day my recruiter informed me I had obtained my desired MOS of Aviation Maintenance (Ag). Of course once I heard that I went into overdrive looking into any and all information I could find on the schooling, and life of a Marine in that MOS.

While I found found some good general knowledge about the school on here, such as location and the lifestyle, I'm still curious as to some other aspects. I was wondering as to what process you are assigned to either Rotary/Fixed wing aircraft, and also how you get assigned to a specific aircraft type(F-35B, Osprey, etc.). Is it just the needs of the Corps? Or is there some input as to what I might be interested in the most?

I was also wondering about time length of the school. As I understand I may have to wait around for some time for classes, depending on when I graduate MCT (Thus why it is a 5yr enlistment). But are there differing class lengths for different aircraft? Or is the schooling just a general class to make basically trained aviation Marines and then we get moved to a specific school for a specific aircraft afterwards?

Lastly I'm curious as to life after the Corps, as from what I hear chances of reenlistment are thin. I've heard some things about gaining a certification that applies to the civilian world? Is this something I am most likely able to earn in my 5 year enlistment if I work toward it? Is it something I should definitely strive for?

Thank you Marines, for any and all help! Have a great day.

Similar Threads:

Congratulations!

Was not in aviation so can't answer your MOS related questions. Can tell you however my best friend was a helicopter engine repairman. After retiring from the USMC, he was hired by the civilian company making the Osprey. While on active duty, he completed his BS degree in Aviation Management from Southern Illinois University (my alma mater as well).

Do you mind me asking how long it took your friend to acquire his BS? I plan on working for mine, and I know that a 4 year degree can take up to twice as long depending on your MOS when in active duty.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congrats on obtaining your MOS !!!

Great field for being in the Marine Corps and later on in civilian life $$$.

All you have to do now is concentrate on getting to Boot Camp and Earning the " Title ".

Other Marines will be by to answer you questions.

Thank you Marines for the congrats. It feels nice to be going into a field I'm interested in! But yes Rocky, earning my EGA is first on my priorities!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CallumChicago View Post
    Do you mind me asking how long it took your friend to acquire his BS? I plan on working for mine, and I know that a 4 year degree can take up to twice as long depending on your MOS when in active duty.
    The Aviation Management program at SIU was 18 months long. Of course, you had to have your AA degree to apply. Classwork was every weekend then they gave you homework for the rest of the week. Also had to complete an internship at a local airport. You can go on SIU's website to find out more info (search for military off-campus program). You can go to the campus in Carbondale, IL and walk accross the stage for your diploma with a graduating class if you want. When we went, tuition assistance covered everything but not sure about now.

Thank you so much for that info sir. I've been very interested into what kind of education I should look into while in the Corps. Wanting something both practical for my schedule and my MOS. The information on the SIU program from their website looks really interesting, and gives me comfort in knowing there are programs like that to set me up for my future. Really helpful stuff!

Your education opportunities will vary depending on your permanent duty station. I was at Camp Pendleton when I went through SIU's distance learning program and my best friend was at Marine Corps Air Station, Tustin, CA (now closed). According to their website, they only offer off-campus programs at New River and Cherry Point now. Besides Aviation Management, they also offer a BS degree in Aviation Technology which may fit your situation better. Something to keep in mind when it comes time to be assigned to your first permanent duty station after MOS school. If you have the opportunity to request your duty station, you may want to request New River or Cherry Point so that SIU would be available to you (once you finish your associates degree that is).

Thanks again for the information. At the least this is helping me understand how forward thinking I will need to be in regards to my education, not just in the sense of what I should study, but also where I can study it at. Glad I already have a few semesters of college out of the way, hopefully those credits can give me a boost. I'll look into other programs of this kind and see if there are other programs like SIUs out there! Thank you very much for the help again!

Just giving a little update: Today I went in and officially signed my new contract. I got the code wrong, it was AF not AG, my bad! But can't wait to get my EGA and get my hands on one of those aircraft!

Just wanted to say thanks again for the help! Any help is much appreciated!

Hope all are having a good week!

~ Poolee Callum

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Nice !!!

This is all speaking from my experience so your experience may be different. At some point during MCT you should be briefed with other AF Marines on where you will be headed for schooling. This is all need of the Marine Corps, but I was sent to Pensacola, FL where I waited around a month or so to class up as a power plants mech (engines). After I waited and waited I was told I would be headed to the Airframes courses instead. Once graduating Airframes "A"school I received my MOS of 6062. Your class will received orders either at the "I" or "O" level. Once receiving those orders you will most likely be sent to a "C" school. I was sent to Virginia Beach, VA. That should give you a general idea of what to expect, but this procedure could be different now. After your time in, if you decide to try the civilian life you will need to get you A&P license if wish to work on civilian Aircraft. A lot of what you learn will be transferable to college credits but in most cases you still have to test out of the class to get credit from the FAA towards your A&P license. They have very strict rules on the hours needed to test for each portion of the license. But the A&P license in most cases is easily earned in 2 years, and has a very good starting pay rate depending on where you live and what aircraft you work on. Also the GI Bill will pay for an A&P. Hope that helps answer some questions you have. Now go earn the title!

Thank you for the information Sergeant!

Thread Information