I 100% Want Infantry But Offered Combat Support
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

I 100% Want Infantry But Offered Combat Support

Good afternoon, Marines & thank you for your service.

I have been in the DEP since Aug 24th of 2012 (As a high school senior) and infantry has always been what I wanted. My ship date has constantly been pushed back b/c of all the cuts going on in the Corps and everything else involved with that so I'm leaving November 18th. I've never been guaranteed an infantry contract, BUT is just my number 1 choice on my 'Wish List'.

Infantry
    Combat Support
    Aviation Crewman

Today I received a text telling me that I can have a contract for combat support, even though I don't really want it, I used it for filler space in my top 3. My question to you is what should I do? Should I wait it out as long as I can for an infantry contract or take the combat support? I have been training myself up to handle the rigors that come along w/ being a grunt and I can run a PFT at a 289 w/ my run at 19:53. I would love to be infantry but I also don't want to get greedy and miss my shot at becoming a US Marine.

Thank you in advance.

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Something is not right with your post.
    You can only be in the DEP for 365 days.
    Also you have been a member of this forum for over 3 years and you are listed as a Marine Friend and not a Poolee.

But to answer your question, you put your top 3 choices down and you got your 2nd one.

You either take it or get out of the DEP if you are still in it ???

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've been on the forum a while and this is my first time actually posting for a long time. 3 years ago I was just a kid (Marine Friend). I just haven't updated it. As for being in the DEP for 365 days, you've got good eyes. I was in as reserve and then I DEP Discharged to switch active which reset my 365 days. I apologize for not mentioning that.

Comes down to do you want to ship or continue hanging around in the DEP "hoping" to land an infantry contract (which may never happen - there are never enough to go around). There are many here who will tell you never ship without the contract you want (it's your career so you should make the most of it).

There are plenty of wannabes who would love to be in your position but can't because of tattoos, too many dependents, legal/medical issues, etc. All of them would take anything offered but don't have your opportunity.

Since you don't want to be "greedy", my advice is to jump on the opportunity while it is being offered. Who knows when the next opportunity will come around or what it will be (may be better or worse).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellerman View Post
    I've been on the forum a while and this is my first time actually posting for a long time. 3 years ago I was just a kid (Marine Friend). I just haven't updated it. As for being in the DEP for 365 days, you've got good eyes. I was in as reserve and then I DEP Discharged to switch active which reset my 365 days. I apologize for not mentioning that.
    Yes I do.

I will change your status on the forum to " Poolee/DEP " because you cannot.

Please square away your profile with all fields filled out to reflect the changes.

Thank you and best of luck.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I appreciate the advice from the two of you. Thank you, Marines.
    I'm signing my combat support contract some time next week.
    Thread can be closed.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1. We don't close threads.

2. I would like updates on your progress if it's OK with you. It will benefit other Wannabees and Poolees on the forum.

Thank you.

Is combat support a job you want or see yourself doing? After all you stated that you selected it as a filler. You might want to pour some more thought into what you want to do for a living. Yeah, as Top said, there are never enough Infantry jobs to go around.. However, find a job that is open that you will be interested in. Do not just ship out with a job that you do not see yourself enjoying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rine_Corps_MOS

Go through that list and consult with your recruiter with jobs that you may be interested in. Maybe you will find a job that is available other than Infantry that you'll enjoy..

Good luck!

there is nothing wrong with Combat Support, the Marines on the ground can not do there job without the beans,bullets,and and band-aids, thats us logistics Marines! It takes a red patcher (3112) to get the landing craft to the beach, but a logistics Marine to get the landing craft from the boat to the shore...Again there is nothing wrong with Combat Support..did it for 15 Yrs

I'll jump in here and with respect to the other posters say you have been offered poor advice.

Wanting to be a grunt and getting stuck with another MOS is akin to wanting to be a Marine and being stuck in the Army. I have many good friends who are good guys who are soldiers... but I would not have been happy/satisfied as such.

The fact of the matter is you have the option to wait out an infantry slot, you'd be a fool not to take it. You waited 18 years to join the Marine Corps, I think you can hold out for a few extra months for the MOS you want.

This isn't the first time I've responded to a thread like this and I am disheartened to see this advice or accusations of greed being tossed out so readily in situations such as this.

This is his career and his life. Telling him he is greedy for holding out for thr MOS he "100% wants" and has the 100% ability to get with just a little bit of patience is unprofessional advice with possibly devastating effect on his career in the Marine Corps.

Mike

Thread Information