MARSOC / Force Recon
Create Post

MARSOC / Force Recon

Hey guys Marines...The Marines who are going to answer your questions have EARNED the title so I doubt anyone remembers but I joined quite some time ago, I needed a waiver and just today things have taken a turn for the better and it looks like I will be heading to meps (finally). Point being 1 year ago when I first spoke to a recruiter I wanted to be 0311 and 0311 only. My views and decisions have since changed and I wish to be a part of special operations.

What MOS would you reccomend for someone who wants to get into Marsoc and force recon. I am looking (without trying to sound like a douche or someone who has played too much call of duty) to do something along the lines of sniper/recon or infiltration, extraction, etc.

Aside from 0321, which I know very little about, I am not sure which MOS's to even consider.

Thank you very much in advance for all serious replies.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Lisa 23; 09-03-13 at 11:11 PM.

You can go literally any MOS and still go MARSOC, as long as you meet the requirements. To be honest, I would go an MOS that would teach you a skill you would like to pursue after the Marines or you just want to know. This way you can practice your MOS for a minute and then speak with a MARSOC recruiter. I have a buddy who is a 1141 electrician and just got into MARSOC. When you go MARSOC, you go either as an Operator or as a spec ops Marine who who retains his MOS and supports the operators (even though from what I heard you're basically an operator as well)

Quote Originally Posted by jeonpaolo View Post
    You can go literally any MOS and still go MARSOC, as long as you meet the requirements. To be honest, I would go an MOS that would teach you a skill you would like to pursue after the Marines or you just want to know. This way you can practice your MOS for a minute and then speak with a MARSOC recruiter. I have a buddy who is a 1141 electrician and just got into MARSOC. When you go MARSOC, you go either as an Operator or as a spec ops Marine who who retains his MOS and supports the operators (even though from what I heard you're basically an operator as well)
    Well I really don't know the difference. Having done some googling I have come to the conclusion that force recon is out there doing expeditions and directly involved with the enemy and infiltrations and everything. Marsoc I do not know. However this information is also outdated.

So I am confused as where to go.

Like I said I want to be special operations and directly involved in whatever missions there may be dealing with direct attacks or counter-terrorism and am not sure if Marsoc or Recon is the way to go.

Thanks for your answer though.

0311. Build a solid foundation in infantry field craft. Go to as many schools as possible. Mature over four years and then go to MarSoc.

Who knows, by then you may decide the Marine Corps isn't even for you.

Before you decide to go MARSOC, make sure that is what you really want to do. I know grunts who are out and have so many problems with their body now they are constantly at the VA. The Marine Corps will break you. I have a broken vertebrae, a heart condition, and a bulging disc from the Corps and this is from being in an Engineer Company. If you go MARSOC, make sure you are willing to accept the tough life, harsh conditions, and the possibility of many VA appointments after you get out. If you are, then good on you.

If you decide to go infantry before MARSOC, good luck picking up Corporal within your first enlistment. Almost everyones getting out terminal lance these days. I might be wrong but I think you have to be at least a Corporal to go MARSOC...

For more info on MARSOC, visit their new website at www.marsoc.com

I agree with jeonpaulo's statement that the USMC will break you. I was never a grunt but still developed chronic compartment syndrome in both legs (running overuse injury) and had to have surgery (faciotomies to relieve the pressure). When I was at Bethesda National Naval Hospital for the surgeries, the naval docs there told me compartment syndrome is a common injury amongst Marines (majority of their patients are OCS candidates since Quantico is nearby). It is well-documented most grunts suffer long-term debilitating back and knee injuries from the extremely heavy loads they must hump daily as part of their job. For this reason, some of them will try to change their MOS if they are allowed to reenlist.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    0311. Build a solid foundation in infantry field craft. Go to as many schools as possible. Mature over four years and then go to MarSoc.
    X2

If you absolutely want to go MARSOC id go Intel, they are hurting for intel hell I cant get them to leave me alone. I am not looking to get more broken than I really am.

Thread Information